startx from terminal or telnet - KDE

This is a discussion on startx from terminal or telnet - KDE ; Hi, I have a very strange phenomenon. I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run 'startx'. Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same window I run the 'startx' ...

  1. startx from terminal or telnet

    Hi,
    I have a very strange phenomenon.
    I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    'startx'.
    Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    I can work normally.
    BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    the X doesnt run properly:
    - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    run
    - cant open web-browser
    - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

    Did it happened to someone?
    Is it something with my hardware?
    Why is this happening?

    I would love to hear any comments.

    Thanks,
    hagit

    PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC

  2. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:00:43 -0800 (PST), hagit wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > 'startx'.

    Use ssh instead and see what happens.

  3. Re: startx from terminal or telnet

    Hello,

    hagit wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a very strange phenomenon.
    > I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
    > 'startx'.

    Why on earth would one startx in a telnet session? startx launches an X
    server, while you should have a running one locally, not on the remote
    host you are accessing. Then remote X clients can connect somehow to
    your local X server, given DISPLAY is set, the X port is forwarded, the
    connection is authenticated (see xauth), and/or the remote clients are
    allowed (see xhost). ssh can do all this behind the scene, as others
    said.

    > Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
    > window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
    > I can work normally.
    > BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
    > the X doesnt run properly:
    > - running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
    > run
    > - cant open web-browser
    > - when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
    > X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).
    >
    > Did it happened to someone?
    > Is it something with my hardware?
    > Why is this happening?
    >
    > I would love to hear any comments.

    Please give an exact sequence of commands your are using, and what you
    expect from those commands, and what you get instead. Perhaps you could
    try a little bit of reading in the manuals, because that might give you
    the idea, where the problem is. IMO you have some very basic
    misconception somewhere.

    Bernd Strieder

+ Reply to Thread