Knode: any way of syncing computers? - KDE

This is a discussion on Knode: any way of syncing computers? - KDE ; Suppose one uses knode on different computers, in different places, with different news servers. Is there any way of keeping the different machines in sync? -- Timothy Murphy e-mail ( tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin ...

  1. Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    Timothy Murphy tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie left this in
    comp.windows.x.kde:

    > Suppose one uses knode on different computers,
    > in different places, with different news servers.
    > Is there any way of keeping the different machines
    > in sync?

    Have you heard of rsync?

  3. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:37:13 +0000, JosephKK wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie left this in
    > comp.windows.x.kde:
    >

    >> Suppose one uses knode on different computers, in different places,
    >> with different news servers. Is there any way of keeping the different
    >> machines in sync?
    >>

    > Have you heard of rsync?

    KDE does not do this function.

    I guess the most comprehensive answer is to run a news server on each of
    the computers. Then, have the computers fetch from each other's news
    servers at regular intervals.

    Look at inn, cnews and leafnode. This is way too complicated for most
    purposes.

  4. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    Joe User wrote:

    >>> Suppose one uses knode on different computers, in different places,
    >>> with different news servers. Is there any way of keeping the different
    >>> machines in sync?

    >> Have you heard of rsync?

    I have heard of rsync.
    I even use it.

    > I guess the most comprehensive answer is to run a news server on each of
    > the computers. Then, have the computers fetch from each other's news
    > servers at regular intervals.
    >
    > Look at inn, cnews and leafnode. This is way too complicated for most
    > purposes.

    I've decided in the end - I asked this question some time ago -
    that the simplest solution is to use nfs to share ~/.kde/share/apps/knode .
    (I link /common/tim/knode to ~tim/.kde/share/apps/knode
    on desktop and laptops.)
    I've been running this for a couple of months,
    and it seems to work fine.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  5. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:19:00 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I've decided in the end - I asked this question some time ago - that the
    > simplest solution is to use nfs to share ~/.kde/share/apps/knode . (I
    > link /common/tim/knode to ~tim/.kde/share/apps/knode on desktop and
    > laptops.) I've been running this for a couple of months, and it seems to
    > work fine.

    Well, that is better than my solution, but...

    Do you share the disk over the internet?

    I hope you have some SSH or VPN link to encrypt the connection over the
    internet.

  6. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    Joe User axyz@yahoo.com left this in comp.windows.x.kde:

    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:37:13 +0000, JosephKK wrote:
    >
    >> Timothy Murphy tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie left this in
    >> comp.windows.x.kde:
    >>

    >>> Suppose one uses knode on different computers, in different places,
    >>> with different news servers. Is there any way of keeping the
    >>> different machines in sync?
    >>>

    >> Have you heard of rsync?

    > KDE does not do this function.
    >
    > I guess the most comprehensive answer is to run a news server on each
    > of
    > the computers. Then, have the computers fetch from each other's news
    > servers at regular intervals.
    >
    > Look at inn, cnews and leafnode. This is way too complicated for most
    > purposes.

    It is not a KDE function it is a *nix function. Try stopping both
    clients, and rsync on the respective directories. It is a CLI tool so
    you will need konsole to use it. Before you do do man rsync.

    --
    ----------

    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens.
    --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

  7. Re: Knode: any way of syncing computers?

    Joe User wrote:

    >> I've decided in the end - I asked this question some time ago - that the
    >> simplest solution is to use nfs to share ~/.kde/share/apps/knode . (I
    >> link /common/tim/knode to ~tim/.kde/share/apps/knode on desktop and
    >> laptops.) I've been running this for a couple of months, and it seems to
    >> work fine.

    > Well, that is better than my solution, but...
    >
    > Do you share the disk over the internet?
    >
    > I hope you have some SSH or VPN link to encrypt the connection over the
    > internet.

    I only use this on my home LAN.
    Actually, the main news server I use is provided by my ISP,
    and is not available when I am abroad,
    so I forgo news for a few days.

    --
    Timothy Murphy