kmail in icon tray? - KDE

This is a discussion on kmail in icon tray? - KDE ; Dear Readers, When i login i see klipper and korganizer in the systemtray on my kde-panel. Is there a way to get kmail at startup there as well? TIA Peter -- mailto eter@dharma.dyndns.info...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. kmail in icon tray?

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  2. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > When i login i see klipper and korganizer in the systemtray on my
    > kde-panel. Is there a way to get kmail at startup there as well?

    In the Settings menu of kmail, under Appearance, you should have a
    tab 'System Tray' where you can enable the system tray icon, and choose
    whether to have it always on or only when there are unread messages.

    HTH,

    Irina
    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

  3. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Irina Rempt in <47611b1b$0$85790$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> :

    > In the Settings menu of kmail, under Appearance, you should have a
    > tab 'System Tray' where you can enable the system tray icon, and choose
    > whether to have it always on or only when there are unread messages.

    Thanks for your answer.
    But kmail seems to be configured alright, but the icon is only there when i
    manually start up kmail and not at login.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  4. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Irina Rempt wrote:

    >> When i login i see klipper and korganizer in the systemtray on my
    >> kde-panel. Is there a way to get kmail at startup there as well?

    > In the Settings menu of kmail, under Appearance, you should have a
    > tab 'System Tray' where you can enable the system tray icon, and choose
    > whether to have it always on or only when there are unread messages.

    What is the system tray (or icon tray), as a matter of interest?
    Or kde-panel, for that matter?

    I get the KMail icon in my panel,
    by right-clicking on the K/Start icon, and going to Panel Menu.

    But is the OP talking about something else?

  5. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Timothy Murphy in :

    > What is the system tray (or icon tray), as a matter of interest?
    > Or kde-panel, for that matter?

    I especially mean the system tray not the panel, why can korganizer and
    klipper startup the at login and not kmail(?)

    Maybe its because of my bad English that i do not seem to explain well.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  6. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Timothy Murphy in :

    > What is the system tray (or icon tray), as a matter of interest?
    > Or kde-panel, for that matter?

    I especially mean the system tray not the panel, why can korganizer and
    klipper startup there at login and not kmail(?)

    Maybe its because of my bad English that i do not seem to explain well.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  7. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy in :
    >
    >> What is the system tray (or icon tray), as a matter of interest?
    >> Or kde-panel, for that matter?

    > I especially mean the system tray not the panel, why can korganizer and
    > klipper startup there at login and not kmail(?)
    >
    > Maybe its because of my bad English that i do not seem to explain well.

    Peter,

    I'm fairly sure that this is not what you wanted, but try this idea. If you
    leave kmail running when you log out it will be running when you log back
    in.

    I believe that korganizer & klipper icons are in the tray when you start up
    is because the the icon apps are actually related to daemons rather than
    the normal apps. IIRC, the korganizer icon relates to functioning of the
    alarm daemon, but starts the korganizer (or kontact) application when you
    click on it and klipper has its own daemon controlled via the tray icon.
    Since kmail has,AFAIK, no related daemon it does not startup with the icon
    in the tray - unless you check for mail on logon and choose for the icon to
    show if new mail arrives.

    HTH

    Rob.

    Rob.

  8. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Rob wrote:

    > I believe that korganizer & klipper icons are in the tray when you start
    > up is because the the icon apps are actually related to daemons rather
    > than the normal apps.

    Would it help to put a pointer to kmail in Autostart? (I usually don't
    bother with autostart, because I hardly ever log out, just hibernate)

    Irina
    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
    http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 03-Dec-2007
    Purplish Cooking Pages http://www.valdyas.org/irina/purplishcookingpages/

  9. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > I especially mean the system tray not the panel, why can
    > korganizer and klipper startup there at login and not kmail(?)

    Because they are designed to run in the system tray. BTW, it's not
    KOrganizer running, it's korgac, which calls in turn KOrganizer
    when you click on it. If you want mail notifications in the
    system tray use korn.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  10. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Joerg in <5sd7gfF185r0cU1@mid.individual.net> :

    > Because they are designed to run in the system tray. BTW, it's not
    > KOrganizer running, it's korgac, which calls in turn KOrganizer
    > when you click on it.

    Okay.
    But if i close kmail with the X, it stays in the icon tray and i find that
    very handy, so i was wandering if the is a way to keep it there.

    > If you want mail notifications in the
    > system tray use korn.

    No thats not what i want.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter Terpstra

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  11. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    >> Because they are designed to run in the system tray. BTW, it's
    >> not KOrganizer running, it's korgac, which calls in turn
    >> KOrganizer when you click on it.

    > Okay.
    > But if i close kmail with the X, it stays in the icon tray and i
    > find that very handy, so i was wandering if the is a way to keep
    > it there.

    Create an entry in your Autostart folder for the
    command 'kstart --iconify kmail'. That should do the trick.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  12. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Joerg in <5sdedvF18lpjdU1@mid.individual.net> :

    > Create an entry in your Autostart folder for the
    > command 'kstart --iconify kmail'. That should do the trick.

    Ahh, kstart was the program i was looking for.

    When i give the command in a shell, it just iconofys in the systray, like i
    would like to happen. If i create a entry in the Autostart directory, it
    starts up completely. Is this normal behavior?

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  13. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > Joerg in <5sdedvF18lpjdU1@mid.individual.net> :
    >
    >> Create an entry in your Autostart folder for the
    >> command 'kstart --iconify kmail'. That should do the trick.

    > Ahh, kstart was the program i was looking for.
    >
    > When i give the command in a shell, it just iconofys in the
    > systray, like i would like to happen. If i create a entry in the
    > Autostart directory, it starts up completely. Is this normal
    > behavior?
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Peter

    No, works fine here. Probably some spelling mistake? Here's my
    desktop file:

    [Desktop Entry]
    Comment=
    Comment[de]=
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Exec=kstart --iconify kmail
    GenericName=
    GenericName[de]=
    Icon=exec
    MimeType=
    Name=
    Name[de]=
    Path=
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    TerminalOptions=
    Type=Application
    X-DCOP-ServiceType=
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  14. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > But if i close kmail with the X, it stays in the icon tray and i find that
    > very handy, so i was wandering if the is a way to keep it there.

    I asked before, but it seems my ignorance is incomprehensible to you gurus:
    What exactly is the KDE "icon tray" and/or "system tray"?
    Are they the same thing?
    Are they something to do with Java?

    As I said, I have the KMail icon in my panel
    because I added it there with k=>Panel Menu=>Add Application to Panel.
    How does the "system tray" improve on that?

    I also have a "Desktop Previewer" which shows the applications
    running on my 8 desktops.

    Please don't over-estimate my knowledge;
    I genuinely do not know what you are talking about.

  15. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Timothy Murphy in :

    > As I said, I have the KMail icon in my panel
    > because I added it there with k=>Panel Menu=>Add Application to Panel.
    > How does the "system tray" improve on that?

    Wel the program is already loaded (the popup is working) and gives
    information about the status of difefrent maildirs.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  16. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Joerg in <5sdjb0F17pu7oU1@mid.individual.net> :

    > No, works fine here. Probably some spelling mistake? Here's my
    > desktop file:

    >[cut]

    I'm sorry but even that does not work here. It starts up completely.
    There must be something different in our KDE configuration.
    My KDE version is 3.5.8.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  17. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Peter Terpstra wrote:
    >
    >> But if i close kmail with the X, it stays in the icon tray and
    >> i find that very handy, so i was wandering if the is a way to
    >> keep it there.

    > I asked before, but it seems my ignorance is incomprehensible to
    > you gurus: What exactly is the KDE "icon tray" and/or "system
    > tray"? Are they the same thing?
    > Are they something to do with Java?

    The system tray usually contains running apps or daemons. i.e.
    knotes klipper or korgac, kkorganizers reminder. Take klipper,
    the process is running all the time and keeps track of your copy
    actions. With a click you hook in and select what you want to
    pastte. And no, nothing to do with java.

    Ther is nothing like an icon tray, it's a mix of terms here. There
    are only applets like the task bar or special panels like kasbar.

    > As I said, I have the KMail icon in my panel
    > because I added it there with k=>Panel Menu=>Add Application to
    > Panel. How does the "system tray" improve on that?

    The panel contains starter buttons, you click on it and it starts
    the application. The system tray is not an improement to the
    panel, it contains a special kind of applications, usually some
    daemons.

    HTH
    Joerg

    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  18. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Peter Terpstra wrote:

    > Joerg in <5sdjb0F17pu7oU1@mid.individual.net> :
    >
    >> No, works fine here. Probably some spelling mistake? Here's my
    >> desktop file:

    >>[cut]

    > I'm sorry but even that does not work here. It starts up
    > completely. There must be something different in our KDE
    > configuration. My KDE version is 3.5.8.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Peter

    Same version here. Probably a saved session?

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  19. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Joerg in <5sf1ggF18ov5dU1@mid.individual.net> :

    > Same version here. Probably a saved session?

    In session-manager i have chosen for "start with a empty session", it makes
    no difference, kmail starts up completely.

    Maybe we do not find an answer for my question, at least i would like to
    thank you for your effort of answering.

    Kind Regards,

    Peter

    --
    mailtoeter@dharma.dyndns.info

  20. Re: kmail in icon tray?

    Joerg wrote:

    >> I asked before, but it seems my ignorance is incomprehensible to
    >> you gurus: What exactly is the KDE "icon tray" and/or "system
    >> tray"? Are they the same thing?
    >> Are they something to do with Java?
    >>

    > The system tray usually contains running apps or daemons. i.e.
    > knotes klipper or korgac, kkorganizers reminder. Take klipper,
    > the process is running all the time and keeps track of your copy
    > actions. With a click you hook in and select what you want to
    > pastte. And no, nothing to do with java.

    Well, I have the klipper icon in my panel.
    Maybe it _is_ in the "system tray",
    although there seems no mention of that.
    If it is, it is the only icon in it.

    How does one create the system tray?
    I see no mention of it in my main (K) menu, under Fedora-7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast