Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu - KDE

This is a discussion on Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu - KDE ; Hi, I'm running RedHat EL 5 (I know, I know) and there's an "Administration" menu under the K Menu which I cannot seem to be able to get rid of (not running as root, although I cannot find the string ...

  1. Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu

    Hi,

    I'm running RedHat EL 5 (I know, I know) and there's an "Administration"
    menu under the K Menu which I cannot seem to be able to get rid of (not
    running as root, although I cannot find the string "Administration" anywhere
    within the account). Anyway, where is this menu coming from and how can I
    get rid of it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    PS. KDE 3.5.4

    Cheers,

    --
    marco@reimeika.ca
    Gunnm: Broken Angel http://v4u.reimeika.ca

  2. Re: Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu

    marco wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running RedHat EL 5 (I know, I know) and there's an "Administration"
    > menu under the K Menu which I cannot seem to be able to get rid of (not
    > running as root, although I cannot find the string "Administration" anywhere
    > within the account). Anyway, where is this menu coming from and how can I
    > get rid of it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    /usr/share/app*

    Run Desktop/Panel and remove it with the "Edit K Menu" (this is user specific
    setting).

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu

    "J.O. Aho" writes:

    Hi,

    > > I'm running RedHat EL 5 (I know, I know) and there's an "Administration"
    > > menu under the K Menu which I cannot seem to be able to get rid of (not
    > > running as root, although I cannot find the string "Administration" anywhere
    > > within the account). Anyway, where is this menu coming from and how can I
    > > get rid of it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    > /usr/share/app*
    >
    > Run Desktop/Panel and remove it with the "Edit K Menu" (this is user specific
    > setting).

    Thank you for your help. I see the programs which are under the
    "Administration" menu in /usr/share, for example,

    /usr/share/applications/system-config-boot.desktop

    but I don't see the actual "Administration" entry which shows up
    in the K Menu. Although I can delete the "Administration" entry
    as a user via the "Edit K Menu" (and save it), the "Administration"
    menu still shows up in the K Menu (which is strange, because the
    K Menu editor does not complain about deleting that entry, and
    does not complain about saving the settings, but still it does
    nothing). There must be a system-wide file which says that the
    "Administration" menu must show up in the K Menu of all user
    accounts, but I still can't find it... any ideas?

    Cheers!

    --
    marco@reimeika.ca
    Gunnm: Broken Angel http://v4u.reimeika.ca
    http://reimeika.ca/ http://photo.reimeika.ca

  4. Re: Getting rid of "Administration" menu in K Menu

    marco wrote:

    > "J.O. Aho" writes:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> > I'm running RedHat EL 5 (I know, I know) and there's an
    >> > "Administration" menu under the K Menu which I cannot seem to be able
    >> > to get rid of (not running as root, although I cannot find the string
    >> > "Administration" anywhere within the account). Anyway, where is this
    >> > menu coming from and how can I get rid of it? Any help is greatly
    >> > appreciated!

    >> /usr/share/app*
    >>
    >> Run Desktop/Panel and remove it with the "Edit K Menu" (this is user
    >> specific setting).

    > Thank you for your help. I see the programs which are under the
    > "Administration" menu in /usr/share, for example,
    >
    > /usr/share/applications/system-config-boot.desktop
    >
    > but I don't see the actual "Administration" entry which shows up
    > in the K Menu. Although I can delete the "Administration" entry
    > as a user via the "Edit K Menu" (and save it), the "Administration"
    > menu still shows up in the K Menu (which is strange, because the
    > K Menu editor does not complain about deleting that entry, and
    > does not complain about saving the settings, but still it does
    > nothing). There must be a system-wide file which says that the
    > "Administration" menu must show up in the K Menu of all user
    > accounts, but I still can't find it... any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers!

    I haven't followed that one, but in my experience, if you can delete
    everything under a heading, the heading doesn't show up. That is using KDE
    3.5.7 under Mandriva 2008. I would love to have an Administration menu
    there. Everything is under "Tools" beside Multimedia, etc, and isn't
    obvious enough.

    HTH,

    Doug.

+ Reply to Thread