KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B? - KDE

This is a discussion on KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B? - KDE ; I'm reading groups from freetext.usenetserver.com (which has amazing retention) while posting through news.aioe.org (which, unfortunately, doesn't). Can KNode redirect followups to articles read on the first server to be posted through the second? Under Windoze, Luu Tran's freeware Xnews could ...

  1. KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    I'm reading groups from freetext.usenetserver.com (which has amazing
    retention) while posting through news.aioe.org (which, unfortunately,
    doesn't). Can KNode redirect followups to articles read on the first
    server to be posted through the second?

    Under Windoze, Luu Tran's freeware Xnews could do this seamlessly, though,
    I'm not sure I've ever seen another news client that could.

    --

    N.B.

  2. Re: KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    Noah Bawdi wrote:

    > I'm reading groups from freetext.usenetserver.com (which has amazing
    > retention) while posting through news.aioe.org (which, unfortunately,
    > doesn't). Can KNode redirect followups to articles read on the first
    > server to be posted through the second?
    >
    > Under Windoze, Luu Tran's freeware Xnews could do this seamlessly, though,
    > I'm not sure I've ever seen another news client that could.

    I have a rather similar query.
    I read a couple of mailing lists on knode through the gmane newsgroups -
    in particular the Fedora mailing list on gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
    and the openldap mailing list on gmane.network.openldap.general .

    For some reason I can post without problem on the first (with knode),
    but my postings to the second never appear.

  3. Re: KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > I have a rather similar query.
    > I read a couple of mailing lists on knode through the gmane newsgroups -
    > in particular the Fedora mailing list on gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
    > and the openldap mailing list on gmane.network.openldap.general .
    >
    > For some reason I can post without problem on the first (with knode),
    > but my postings to the second never appear.

    Not sure if this helps you out, but this appears on
    http://www.gmane.org/about.php:

    ,----
    `----

    --

    N.B.

  4. Re: KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    Noah Bawdi wrote:

    >> in particular the Fedora mailing list on
    >> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general and the openldap mailing list on
    >> gmane.network.openldap.general .
    >>
    >> For some reason I can post without problem on the first (with knode),
    >> but my postings to the second never appear.

    > Not sure if this helps you out, but this appears on
    > http://www.gmane.org/about.php:
    >
    > ,----
    > | Not all mailing lists allow non-subscribers to post, and some are
    > | moderated. Gmane requires that users post to Gmane groups using a valid
    > | e-mail address, and requires a one-time authorization per group.
    > `----

    Thanks for your response.
    It seems that this should answer my problem,
    but unfortunately it does not seem to.

    According to ,
    "The first time you post something to a newsgroup,
    Gmane spools the message and sends you an email asking you to respond."

    I don't recall ever receiving any such email,
    and the gmane FAQ does not seem to suggest anything one can do
    _after_ one's first post.

  5. Re: KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > According to ,
    > "The first time you post something to a newsgroup,
    > Gmane spools the message and sends you an email asking you to respond."
    >
    > I don't recall ever receiving any such email,
    > and the gmane FAQ does not seem to suggest anything one can do
    > _after_ one's first post.

    But you wouldn't be able to post without problem to fedora.general unless
    you had authorised yourself at some point in the past.

    Can't say I've ever subscribed to a Gmane group before, but just for kicks
    (and hopefully to render you some assistance) I've risked more spam to one
    of my valid email accounts by posting to gmane.test. I got the
    authorisation email no more than six minutes later; it looks like this:

    ,----
    | From - Sat Dec 8 11:52:48 2007
    | From: Gmane Autoauthorizer
    |
    | To: boywonder@nerdshack.com
    | Subject: gmane.test: Authorization required
    | Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:50:30 +0000
    |
    | You have sent a message to be posted on the
    | gmane.test newsgroup.
    |
    | Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have
    | to confirm that you exist. Just reply to this message, and
    | the message will be posted.
    |

    | You have to respond within one week.
    |
    | --
    | Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org
    | http://gmane.org/
    `----

    I replied immediately and within two more minutes my post was on the list,
    so total round trip time was less than 8 minutes.

    My guess is that your system (or services) changed between your subscribing
    to fedora.general and openldap.general. Perhaps your mail client or ISP's
    mail server is dropping Gmane's messages as spam?

    --

    N.B.

  6. Re: KNode: is it possible to followup article read from server A by posting to server B?

    I came back from lunch and noticed I'd received a confirmation follow up
    from Gmane. Stripped of its header, it looks like this:

    ,----
    | You are now authorized to post to the
    | gmane.test newsgroup.
    |
    | The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be
    | posted within ten minutes.
    |
    | If you have any questions, they are most likely answered
    | in the FAQ: .
    |
    | --
    | Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org
    | http://gmane.org/
    `----

    It was time-stamped only a minute after I sent out my authorisation reply,
    so when things work, they seem to move along quite quickly.

    --

    N.B.

+ Reply to Thread