Reading message ID's in Knode - KDE

This is a discussion on Reading message ID's in Knode - KDE ; I recall a that when you clicked on a Message ID in Knode, you had the option of treating it like an Email address, or a Message ID. When you clicked on the message ID, a window would pop up ...

  1. Reading message ID's in Knode

    I recall a that when you clicked on a Message ID in Knode, you had the
    option of treating it like an Email address, or a Message ID. When you
    clicked on the message ID, a window would pop up offering selections.
    Treat as E-mail, or treat as Message ID.

    If you selected 'E-mail', then your e-mail client would open.

    If you selected 'Message ID', then Knode would fetch that message from
    your USENET server and display the text.

    This seems to have gone missing in the last few versions. Now, Knode only
    treats a message ID as an e-mail.

    It's annoying because every now and then, I'll read a post with a message
    ID in the text and I can't seem to find an easy way to read the message.

    Is there a way to access a USENET message by the message ID in Knode? Or,
    was it decided that this function wouldn't be of use in a newsreader :-)

  2. Re: Reading message ID's in Knode

    In comp.windows.x.kde, S. Cargo wrote:

    > I recall a that when you clicked on a Message ID in Knode, you had the
    > option of treating it like an Email address, or a Message ID. When you
    > clicked on the message ID, a window would pop up offering selections.
    > Treat as E-mail, or treat as Message ID.
    >
    > If you selected 'E-mail', then your e-mail client would open.
    >
    > If you selected 'Message ID', then Knode would fetch that message from
    > your USENET server and display the text.
    >
    > This seems to have gone missing in the last few versions. Now, Knode only
    > treats a message ID as an e-mail.

    I think the correct URL for an Usenet article is news:whatever@domain. Knode
    will recognise and treat these accordingly.

    I don't recall the option you mention, but I'm not a long time user.

    > Is there a way to access a USENET message by the message ID in Knode? Or,
    > was it decided that this function wouldn't be of use in a newsreader :-)

    Edit -> Download article with ID...

  3. Re: Reading message ID's in Knode

    Abelardo Tordo wrote:

    > In comp.windows.x.kde, S. Cargo wrote:
    >
    >> I recall a that when you clicked on a Message ID in Knode, you had the
    >> option of treating it like an Email address, or a Message ID. When you
    >> clicked on the message ID, a window would pop up offering selections.
    >> Treat as E-mail, or treat as Message ID.
    >>
    >> If you selected 'E-mail', then your e-mail client would open.
    >>
    >> If you selected 'Message ID', then Knode would fetch that message from
    >> your USENET server and display the text.
    >>
    >> This seems to have gone missing in the last few versions. Now, Knode only
    >> treats a message ID as an e-mail.

    > I think the correct URL for an Usenet article is news:whatever@domain. Knode
    > will recognise and treat these accordingly.

    Yes... The message ID of my original message in this thread is:

    13kr0o3n7nefn90@news.supernews.com

    But if I click on it, Knode sees the '@' sign and treats it as an email
    address. It used to ask first whether it was an email or message ID.

    >> Is there a way to access a USENET message by the message ID in Knode? Or,
    >> was it decided that this function wouldn't be of use in a newsreader :-)

    > Edit -> Download article with ID...

    Thanks. I didn't see that one. It works, but is a lot more awkward than simply
    clicking on the Message ID while reading a message.

  4. Re: Reading message ID's in Knode

    In comp.windows.x.kde, S. Cargo wrote:

    > Abelardo Tordo wrote:
    >> I think the correct URL for an Usenet article is news:whatever@domain.
    >> Knode will recognise and treat these accordingly.

    > Yes... The message ID of my original message in this thread is:
    >
    > 13kr0o3n7nefn90@news.supernews.com
    >
    > But if I click on it, Knode sees the '@' sign and treats it as an email
    > address. It used to ask first whether it was an email or message ID.

    It's not only the "@" but the "news:" at the beginning:

    Of course Knode's assumption that everybody is going to follow RFC's is
    rather optimistic

+ Reply to Thread