Trash - KDE

This is a discussion on Trash - KDE ; I put a file in the wastebin/Trash and emptied the Trash, whilst the binary that comprised the Trash has gone the Trash is still displayed with its lid off. The folder has gone, but the Trash tells me that "The ...

  1. Trash

    I put a file in the wastebin/Trash and emptied the Trash, whilst the binary
    that comprised the Trash has gone the Trash is still displayed with its lid
    off. The folder has gone, but the Trash tells me that "The file or
    folder /xxxxx/xxxxx/.xxxxxx/xxxxx/Trash/files/xxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist.

    Is there some procedure for resetting the Trash can to empty please?
    --
    Nemo
    "Feather-footed through the plashy fen passes the questing vole"

  2. Re: Trash

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:37:43 +0000, Nemo wrote:
    > I put a file in the wastebin/Trash and emptied the Trash, whilst the binary
    > that comprised the Trash has gone the Trash is still displayed with its lid
    > off. The folder has gone, but the Trash tells me that "The file or
    > folder /xxxxx/xxxxx/.xxxxxx/xxxxx/Trash/files/xxxxxxxxxxxx does not exist.
    >
    > Is there some procedure for resetting the Trash can to empty please?

    You may want to check the owner/group/permissions on the Trash
    directory and verify there are no files under Trash.

    I, for one, would like to know how to disable it myself. I have no use
    for the directory or the icon on the desktop.

    I have tried deleting it from ~/.kde/shutdown, ~/.bash_logout, ~/.kde/Autostart
    but it just keeps comming back.
    Current solution is add the delete code to ~/.bashrc
    /bin/rm -f $HOME/Desktop/trash.desktop
    /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.local/share/Trash/*
    That keeps it off my desktop.

  3. Re: Trash

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:37:43 +0000, Nemo wrote:
    >> I put a file in the wastebin/Trash and emptied the Trash, whilst the
    >> binary that comprised the Trash has gone the Trash is still displayed
    >> with its lid off. The folder has gone, but the Trash tells me that "The
    >> file or folder /xxxxx/xxxxx/.xxxxxx/xxxxx/Trash/files/xxxxxxxxxxxx does
    >> not exist.
    >>
    >> Is there some procedure for resetting the Trash can to empty please?

    > You may want to check the owner/group/permissions on the Trash
    > directory and verify there are no files under Trash.
    >
    > I, for one, would like to know how to disable it myself. I have no use
    > for the directory or the icon on the desktop.
    >
    > I have tried deleting it from ~/.kde/shutdown, ~/.bash_logout,
    > ~/.kde/Autostart but it just keeps comming back.
    > Current solution is add the delete code to ~/.bashrc
    > /bin/rm -f $HOME/Desktop/trash.desktop
    > /bin/rm -fr $HOME/.local/share/Trash/*
    > That keeps it off my desktop.

    Check those permissions as Bit Twister says. Look in ~/.local/Trash/info
    and see if the file is still listed there. If so, empty the directory.

    I had this problem a relatively short time ago. I have forgotten how I
    fixed it in the end, but the above is the most likely cause. info says
    that the file is there, but it isn't. Once I got rid of that error
    message, the icon returned to normal (but since the procedure is unusual, I
    may have had to logout/login afterward - or you could simply refresh the
    desktop from the right-click menu.)

    The desktop entry is a URL-type link only, not even a symlink. You can drag
    a file icon onto it, but you cannot move a file to it with the command
    line. If you move the file to ~/.local/Trash/files, you don't create the
    info file in ~/.local/Trash/info. It is all controlled in the murky
    recesses of KDE. That creates a problem if you want to substitute "move to
    Trash" for "delete" as is sometimes recommended. The best fix is to create
    a separate ~/.Trash directory.

    (BT, this may give you some ideas, otherwise I have no answer to your question.)

    Doug.

  4. Re: Trash

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > ...Look in ~/.local/Trash/info and see if the file is still listed
    > there. *If so, empty the directory.

    Thank you that solved my problem, the Trash can is now operating normally.

    --
    Nemo
    "Feather-footed through the plashy fen passes the questing vole"

  5. Re: Trash

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > I, for one, would like to know how to disable it myself. I have no use
    > for the directory or the icon on the desktop.

    Switch distro
    I don't have the icon on my KDE3.5.6 kubuntu destop...

+ Reply to Thread