Kmal always crashes when applying filters globally. - KDE

This is a discussion on Kmal always crashes when applying filters globally. - KDE ; Here is the situation: I create a new filter to direct all mail from sender x to a newly-established folder. I highlight all messages in my inbox ( A) then apply all filters to the highlighted messages ( J). The ...

  1. Kmal always crashes when applying filters globally.

    Here is the situation: I create a new filter to direct all mail from
    sender x to a newly-established folder. I highlight all messages in my
    inbox ( A)
    then apply all filters to the highlighted messages ( J). The
    system churns away for a while and then KMail crashes.

    I understand that this process is very slow. I don't understand why it
    crashes at or near the end.

    John C.

  2. Re: Kmal always crashes when applying filters globally.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > Here is the situation: I create a new filter to direct all mail from
    > sender x to a newly-established folder. I highlight all messages in my
    > inbox ( A)
    > then apply all filters to the highlighted messages ( J). The
    > system churns away for a while and then KMail crashes.
    >
    > I understand that this process is very slow. I don't understand why it
    > crashes at or near the end.
    >
    > John C.

    Try running kmail from the command line and see if any clues are outputted
    to the terminal.

    --
    Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
    Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.

  3. Re: Kmal always crashes when applying filters globally.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > Here is the situation: I create a new filter to direct all mail from
    > sender x to a newly-established folder. I highlight all messages in my
    > inbox ( A)
    > then apply all filters to the highlighted messages ( J). The
    > system churns away for a while and then KMail crashes.

    May I guess that one of the mail accounts is an IMAP (not the disconnected
    kind) ?

    If so, this is a known issue and you should avoid filtering lots of mails
    like this.

    The safest way is to filter mail by mail by hand, in a way that you wait for
    the mail to be removed from your current folder (if your filter would do
    that before you hit the keyboard shortcut to manually filter again.

    It sucks, I know. I switched to sieve based server side filtering. Good news
    is that this kind of stuff has been fixed in the KDE4 version.

+ Reply to Thread