Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor. - KDE

This is a discussion on Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor. - KDE ; On 11/18/2007 12:50 PM PT, Ant typed: >> You could switch over to the VESA driver and see if KDE starts up >> better, if >> yes, then there is some misconfiguration in your xorg.conf, if it too >> stops ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/18/2007 12:50 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >> You could switch over to the VESA driver and see if KDE starts up
    >> better, if
    >> yes, then there is some misconfiguration in your xorg.conf, if it too
    >> stops
    >> then it's kde or something it depends on.

    > Hmm! Good idea, but then if I did have problems, wouldn't Gnome hang too?

    OK, I did it for kicks since I was getting desperate in having KDE back.
    I tried without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then tried no NVIDIA driver
    (just VESA). I still got the hang. So it can't be X11 issue. With no
    NVIDIA driver, I did the lsof, ps aux, .xsession-errors, and strace
    again without NVIDIA:

    http://pastey.net/77574

    I still don't see anything interesting, but then I am not a
    programmer/developer.
    --
    "He who runs from the white ant may stumble upon the stinging ant."
    --Nigeria
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    Ant wrote:
    > On 11/17/2007 11:55 PM PT, J.O. Aho typed:
    >
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you happen to know what is loaded when I run startx? I noticed
    >>> startkde is a script, but I am still confused what is running in order
    >>> (I am not a programmer/developer).

    >> Both files are scripts that sets up the "environment" and start other
    >> applications.

    > I wonder how I can use them to run step by step to narrow down what is
    > hanging.

    You could include echo to the script

    echo "Something"

    and you know that the hang occurs after the last echo you see.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/18/2007 8:06 PM PT, J.O. Aho typed:

    >>> Both files are scripts that sets up the "environment" and start other
    >>> applications.

    >> I wonder how I can use them to run step by step to narrow down what is
    >> hanging.

    > You could include echo to the script
    >
    > echo "Something"
    >
    > and you know that the hang occurs after the last echo you see.

    In my /usr/sbin/startkde script:
    # finally, give the session control to the session manager
    # see kdebase/ksmserver for the description of the rest of the startup
    sequence
    # if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used
    as KDE's
    # window manager instead of kwin.
    # if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
    # kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
    # kwrapper does not return usefull error codes such as the exit code of
    ksmserver.
    # We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
    # started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
    # will remain undetected.
    test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt

    kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
    echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    if test $? -eq 255; then
    # Startup error
    echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'
    1>&2
    xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your
    installation."
    echo "xmessage" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    fi

    I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
    happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
    ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
    can see where it is hanging now.
    --
    "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  4. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/18/2007 9:29 PM PT, Ant typed:

    >>> I wonder how I can use them to run step by step to narrow down what is
    >>> hanging.

    >> You could include echo to the script
    >>
    >> echo "Something"
    >>
    >> and you know that the hang occurs after the last echo you see.

    > In my /usr/sbin/startkde script:
    > # finally, give the session control to the session manager
    > # see kdebase/ksmserver for the description of the rest of the startup
    > sequence
    > # if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used
    > as KDE's
    > # window manager instead of kwin.
    > # if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
    > # kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
    > # kwrapper does not return usefull error codes such as the exit code of
    > ksmserver.
    > # We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
    > # started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
    > # will remain undetected.
    > test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    > echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    >
    > kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
    > echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    > if test $? -eq 255; then
    > # Startup error
    > echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'
    > 1>&2
    > xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your
    > installation."
    > echo "xmessage" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    > fi
    >

    > I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
    > happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
    > ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
    > can see where it is hanging now.

    FYI. http://pastebin.ca/783609 for "trace ksmserver $KDEWM 2>
    /tmp/ksmserver-strace" in startkde script that someone suggested.
    --
    "An anthill increases by accumulation. / Medicine is consumed by
    distribution. / That which is feared lessens by association. / This is
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  5. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/19/2007 12:17 AM PT, Ant typed:

    http://pastebin.ca/783688 for startx /usr/bin/xterm and run startkde
    inside with strace.
    --
    "I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a
    far more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  6. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    Ant wrote:

    > test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    > echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    > kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
    > echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt

    > I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
    > happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
    > ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
    > can see where it is hanging now.

    As you too concluded, the problem seems to be in the kwrapper line

    I would suggest you add the following line before it

    test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    echo "kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM

    This way you will see exactly what the command gets as parameters.

    Looking at your strace results, I think it may be your /tmp that is part of
    the problem (I may be wrong too)

    connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 19) = -1 ENOENT (No
    such file or directory)
    close(3) = 0

    I guess that the user you are starting the startx with may not have full
    privileges on the directory, try with 'chmod 1777 -R /tmp', that should take
    care of all rights, you could test and see if it helped or not, if not, then
    this wasn't the problem (don't worry, 1777 is what the /tmp should have).

    Next thing that looks a bit bad is

    connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6000),
    sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
    close(3

    This leads to another possible problem, your X is started with "-nolisten
    tcp", which means it won't listen to tcp/ip traffic, while the row above lets
    me think that KDE is set to use tcp/ip for communication.

    I would suggest you edit your startx, change

    defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br"

    defaultserverargs="-br"

    Try again, if it won't work now, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

    --

    //Aho

  7. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    >> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    >> echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    >> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
    >> echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt

    >> I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
    >> happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
    >> ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
    >> can see where it is hanging now.

    > As you too concluded, the problem seems to be in the kwrapper line
    >
    > I would suggest you add the following line before it
    >
    > test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    > echo "kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    > kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM

    OK, I copied exactly how you had it.

    > This way you will see exactly what the command gets as parameters.

    I checked in /home/ant/download and see nothing! No log created during
    the hang. The log showed "kwrapper ksmserver" after I hit
    ctrl-alt-backspace.

    > Looking at your strace results, I think it may be your /tmp that is part of
    > the problem (I may be wrong too)

    Maybe. I never had problems weeks ago. Wouldn't Gnome use /tmp too? I
    even deleted everything in it too. Here is what it looks like when I ls
    -all in /:

    drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp

    > connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 19) = -1 ENOENT (No
    > such file or directory)
    > close(3) = 0
    >
    > I guess that the user you are starting the startx with may not have full
    > privileges on the directory, try with 'chmod 1777 -R /tmp', that should take
    > care of all rights, you could test and see if it helped or not, if not, then
    > this wasn't the problem (don't worry, 1777 is what the /tmp should have).

    I checked again and it looked the same:
    drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp
    Restarting X with KDE still hangs.

    > Next thing that looks a bit bad is
    >
    > connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6000),
    > sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
    > close(3
    >
    > This leads to another possible problem, your X is started with "-nolisten
    > tcp", which means it won't listen to tcp/ip traffic, while the row above lets
    > me think that KDE is set to use tcp/ip for communication.
    >
    > I would suggest you edit your startx, change
    >
    > defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br"

    > defaultserverargs="-br"

    Um, I don't have that parameter in that line at all! Here's my startx
    copy online: http://pastebin.ca/784413

    > Try again, if it won't work now, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

    So, I tried both defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br" and
    defaultserverargs="-br" separately but again they hung.

    A KDE developer told me to run kdebugdialog in the KDE's mailing list: I
    checked ALL options (forgot to see if ksmserver was checked already or
    not) and ran startkde from Gnome's terminal (did this twice in two
    different X sessions to be sure):

    $ startkde
    startkde: Starting up...
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12634, errno = 95
    ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12636, errno = 0
    WARNING: DCOP communication problem!
    kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!

    < it threw more messages in Gnnome terminal; I couldn't reproduce this
    through startx though and I don't know if these are valid and useful
    errors to us>>

    kbuildsycoca running...

    kwin: unable to claim manager selection, another wm running? (try using
    --replace)

    ASSERT: "!name.isEmpty()" in
    /build/buildd/kdelibs-3.5.8.dfsg.1/./kio/kio/kdirlister.cpp (969)
    add font path: '/home/ant/.fonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/latex-xft-fonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/sjfonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dustin'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/kochi'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/type1'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/encodings'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/util'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi'
    add font path: '/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1'
    loaded font VeraMoBd/8
    loaded font Vera/7
    xscreensaver: 09:37:02: already running on display :0.0 (window
    0x2200001) from process 12645
    +(ant@ANTian).

    --
    "Imagine what it would be like to dive into a pool of army ants? You
    would be nothing but bone in a matter of seconds. If you're not up to
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  8. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    Ant wrote:
    >>> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    >>> echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    >>> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
    >>> echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt

    >>> I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
    >>> happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
    >>> ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
    >>> can see where it is hanging now.

    >> As you too concluded, the problem seems to be in the kwrapper line
    >>
    >> I would suggest you add the following line before it
    >>
    >> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    >> echo "kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    >> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM

    > OK, I copied exactly how you had it.
    >

    >> This way you will see exactly what the command gets as parameters.

    > I checked in /home/ant/download and see nothing! No log created during
    > the hang. The log showed "kwrapper ksmserver" after I hit
    > ctrl-alt-backspace.
    >

    >> Looking at your strace results, I think it may be your /tmp that is
    >> part of
    >> the problem (I may be wrong too)

    > Maybe. I never had problems weeks ago. Wouldn't Gnome use /tmp too? I
    > even deleted everything in it too. Here is what it looks like when I ls
    > -all in /:
    >
    > drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp
    >

    >> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 19) = -1
    >> ENOENT (No
    >> such file or directory)
    >> close(3) = 0
    >>
    >> I guess that the user you are starting the startx with may not have full
    >> privileges on the directory, try with 'chmod 1777 -R /tmp', that
    >> should take
    >> care of all rights, you could test and see if it helped or not, if
    >> not, then
    >> this wasn't the problem (don't worry, 1777 is what the /tmp should have).

    > I checked again and it looked the same:
    > drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp
    > Restarting X with KDE still hangs.
    >

    >> Next thing that looks a bit bad is
    >>
    >> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6000),
    >> sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection
    >> refused)
    >> close(3
    >>
    >> This leads to another possible problem, your X is started with "-nolisten
    >> tcp", which means it won't listen to tcp/ip traffic, while the row
    >> above lets
    >> me think that KDE is set to use tcp/ip for communication.
    >>
    >> I would suggest you edit your startx, change
    >>
    >> defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br"

    >> defaultserverargs="-br"

    > Um, I don't have that parameter in that line at all! Here's my startx
    > copy online: http://pastebin.ca/784413

    Check the /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and see if there is a nolisten option
    there, if, then disable it.

    >> Try again, if it won't work now, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

    > So, I tried both defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br" and
    > defaultserverargs="-br" separately but again they hung.

    There is a difference on our startx, so just adding the line won't help.

    --

    //Aho

  9. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    >>> As you too concluded, the problem seems to be in the kwrapper line
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest you add the following line before it
    >>>
    >>> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
    >>> echo "kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
    >>> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM

    >> OK, I copied exactly how you had it.
    >>

    >>> This way you will see exactly what the command gets as parameters.

    >> I checked in /home/ant/download and see nothing! No log created during
    >> the hang. The log showed "kwrapper ksmserver" after I hit
    >> ctrl-alt-backspace.
    >>
    >>> Looking at your strace results, I think it may be your /tmp that is
    >>> part of
    >>> the problem (I may be wrong too)

    >> Maybe. I never had problems weeks ago. Wouldn't Gnome use /tmp too? I
    >> even deleted everything in it too. Here is what it looks like when I ls
    >> -all in /:
    >>
    >> drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp
    >>

    >>> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 19) = -1
    >>> ENOENT (No
    >>> such file or directory)
    >>> close(3) = 0
    >>>
    >>> I guess that the user you are starting the startx with may not have full
    >>> privileges on the directory, try with 'chmod 1777 -R /tmp', that
    >>> should take
    >>> care of all rights, you could test and see if it helped or not, if
    >>> not, then
    >>> this wasn't the problem (don't worry, 1777 is what the /tmp should have).

    >> I checked again and it looked the same:
    >> drwxrwxrwt 29 root root 4096 2007-11-19 10:01 tmp
    >> Restarting X with KDE still hangs.
    >>

    >>> Next thing that looks a bit bad is
    >>>
    >>> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6000),
    >>> sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection
    >>> refused)
    >>> close(3
    >>>
    >>> This leads to another possible problem, your X is started with "-nolisten
    >>> tcp", which means it won't listen to tcp/ip traffic, while the row
    >>> above lets
    >>> me think that KDE is set to use tcp/ip for communication.
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest you edit your startx, change
    >>>
    >>> defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br"

    >>> defaultserverargs="-br"

    >> Um, I don't have that parameter in that line at all. Here's my startx
    >> copy online: http://pastebin.ca/784413

    > Check the /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and see if there is a nolisten option
    > there, if, then disable it.

    $ cat /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
    #!/bin/sh

    # $Id: xserverrc 189 2005-06-11 00:04:27Z branden $

    exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

    So, I removed -nolisten tcp parameters from that line and retried startx
    with KDE. Still got the hang again.

    >>> Try again, if it won't work now, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.

    >> So, I tried both defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp -br" and
    >> defaultserverargs="-br" separately but again they hung.

    > There is a difference on our startx, so just adding the line won't help.

    OK.
    --
    "There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime." --TMBG
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  10. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/19/2007 11:41 AM PT, J.O. Aho typed:

    > Then I'm all dry, you could try with forums.debian.net and see if they can
    > help you.

    Thanks for trying. It's a crazy issue. I wonder if it is something
    really stupid and minor that causes this madness.

    You can see thi issue discussions on KDE's mailing list with a KDE
    developer: http://lists.kde.org/?t=119527809700002&r=1&w=2 (pretty
    long). Maybe you will get more ideas on what we tried so far.

    I will keep following up in this newsgroup thread as well.
    --
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  11. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On Nov 19, 8:50 pm, Ant wrote:
    > On 11/19/2007 11:41 AM PT, J.O. Aho typed:
    >
    > > Then I'm all dry, you could try with forums.debian.net and see if they can
    > > help you.

    > Thanks for trying. It's a crazy issue. I wonder if it is something
    > really stupid and minor that causes this madness.

    It usally are.

    Some late sugestions...

    You can try to reinstall packages. ( 'L' in aptitude interactive
    mode)
    aptitude reinstall kde
    You can really clean out all files, even config files with purge ('_'
    in aptitude interactive mode)
    aptitude purge kde
    If you try remove, you don't remove configuration files, and next time
    you install the package, you get same configuration as last time. ('-'
    in aptitude interactive mode)
    aptitude remove kde
    Two more usefull commands is 'M', which mark a package as a
    dependensie on another package in interactive mode.
    And '+' which install the package.

    Commands reinstall/purge don't touch package that kde are dependent
    on. You have to handle them one at a time. Easiest to do is by
    running aptitude without any arguments. (aptitude has "window" stack
    when running interactive, which you can 'pop away' or close the top
    window with 'q')

    Look at the hash-bang '#!' first line in scripted commands. It tells
    you which shell that reads the commandos in the file.
    If it is a line like '#! /bin/bash', it is bash. You could try this
    command then.
    bash -x startx
    It will give you a trace of what the shell script is doing.

    If you want to start a second graphical X11 server on another console,
    try this.

    startx -- :1

    Then you will have on X11 session at Ctrl-Alt-F8 instead on Ctrl-Alt-
    F7

    > You can see thi issue discussions on KDE's mailing list with a KDE
    > developer:http://lists.kde.org/?t=119527809700002&r=1&w=2(pretty
    > long). Maybe you will get more ideas on what we tried so far.
    >
    > I will keep following up in this newsgroup thread as well.

    Please do, and good luck.

  12. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On 11/20/2007 5:18 PM PT, AJackson typed:

    >>> Then I'm all dry, you could try with forums.debian.net and see if they can
    >>> help you.

    >> Thanks for trying. It's a crazy issue. I wonder if it is something
    >> really stupid and minor that causes this madness.

    > It usally are.
    >
    > Some late sugestions...
    >
    > You can try to reinstall packages.

    Yeah, I did that too. Anyways, it is a known bug now since others are
    seeing it: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452053 and
    there's a temporary workaround for startkde script.
    --
    o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
    they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  13. Re: Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mousecursor.

    On Nov 20, 7:51 pm, Ant wrote:
    > On 11/20/2007 5:18 PM PT, AJackson typed:

    > >> Thanks for trying. It's a crazy issue. I wonder if it is something
    > >> really stupid and minor that causes this madness.

    > > It usally are.

    > > Some late sugestions...

    > > You can try to reinstall packages.

    > Yeah, I did that too. Anyways, it is a known bug now since others are
    > seeing it:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...?bug=452053and
    > there's a temporary workaround for startkde script.

    Oh, I forgot that to, look into that bug database for simulary
    problems.

    Thanks for reporting it. It will help others.

    Good luck