KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem? - KDE

This is a discussion on KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem? - KDE ; Hello, some of the KDE programs hang (ArchLinux, wireless LAN): - sometimes it takes konquerer 5min to start; same for kile and kwrite (not kedit however) - sometimes kmail freezes when trying to read the email via imap (it detects ...

  1. KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem?

    Hello,

    some of the KDE programs hang (ArchLinux, wireless LAN):
    - sometimes it takes konquerer 5min to start; same for kile and kwrite
    (not kedit however)
    - sometimes kmail freezes when trying to read the email via imap (it
    detects new messages first though)
    - kbiff always freezes on configuration

    What could be a reason?
    Anton

  2. Re: KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem?

    Anton81 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > some of the KDE programs hang (ArchLinux, wireless LAN):
    > - sometimes it takes konquerer 5min to start; same for kile and kwrite
    > (not kedit however)
    > - sometimes kmail freezes when trying to read the email via imap (it
    > detects new messages first though)
    > - kbiff always freezes on configuration
    >
    > What could be a reason?

    Difficult to say, but if it takes you 5mins to start konquerer, then I would
    guess that your hostname is changed during connecting to your network, which
    makes that there is a need for connection tries to time out before they can
    try again to connect.

    Suggestion, check if the hostname is changed and see to that this won't happen
    in the future.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem?

    >> some of the KDE programs hang (ArchLinux, wireless LAN):
    >> - sometimes it takes konquerer 5min to start; same for kile and kwrite
    >> (not kedit however)
    >> - sometimes kmail freezes when trying to read the email via imap (it
    >> detects new messages first though)
    >> - kbiff always freezes on configuration

    > Difficult to say, but if it takes you 5mins to start konquerer, then I
    > would guess that your hostname is changed during connecting to your
    > network, which makes that there is a need for connection tries to time out
    > before they can try again to connect.
    >
    > Suggestion, check if the hostname is changed and see to that this won't
    > happen in the future.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the hostname with the
    command "hostname" and it seems OK all of the time. However it is possible
    that there is a network setup incompleteness as I'm setting up wireless
    with my own basic script (ifconfig wlan0; iwconfig ... ; iwpriv ...; dhcpcd
    wlan0).

    Anything else I could check? Why is it that only (some) KDE programs are
    affected and not firefox?

    Anton

  4. Re: KDE programs hang (sometimes). Network problem?

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 01:47:23 +0200, Anton81 posted...

    >>> some of the KDE programs hang (ArchLinux, wireless LAN): - sometimes
    >>> it takes konquerer 5min to start; same for kile and kwrite (not kedit
    >>> however)
    >>> - sometimes kmail freezes when trying to read the email via imap (it
    >>> detects new messages first though)
    >>> - kbiff always freezes on configuration

    >> Difficult to say, but if it takes you 5mins to start konquerer, then I
    >> would guess that your hostname is changed during connecting to your
    >> network, which makes that there is a need for connection tries to time
    >> out before they can try again to connect.
    >>
    >> Suggestion, check if the hostname is changed and see to that this won't
    >> happen in the future.

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the hostname with the command
    > "hostname" and it seems OK all of the time. However it is possible that
    > there is a network setup incompleteness as I'm setting up wireless with
    > my own basic script (ifconfig wlan0; iwconfig ... ; iwpriv ...; dhcpcd
    > wlan0).
    >
    > Anything else I could check? Why is it that only (some) KDE programs are
    > affected and not firefox?
    >
    > Anton

    Try to run a file system check (fsck). Also, load Gnome if you have it loaded and try reinstalling or
    upgrading KDE entirely.
    I would say save your .kde prefs in your ~/.kde folder, but some of the config files may be corrupt and you
    certainly don't want to copy them back to your new install. I doubt this is only a KDE problem, but if I think
    of anything clever, I'll get back.

+ Reply to Thread