Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar - KDE

This is a discussion on Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar - KDE ; Hi! For technical reasons (sporadic display errors with UTF-8), I need to use a different terminal emulator than konsole (i.e. gnome-terminal, xterm, ...). What do I need to configure to make sure these terminal emulators are highlighted in the KDE ...

  1. Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar

    Hi!

    For technical reasons (sporadic display errors with UTF-8), I need to
    use a different terminal emulator than konsole (i.e. gnome-terminal,
    xterm, ...). What do I need to configure to make sure these terminal
    emulators are highlighted in the KDE taskbar when a system bell event
    occurs? I would like an effect similar to the one I get with konsole
    when setting "Mark taskbar entry" on "Bell emitted within a visible
    session" in Control Center/Sound.../System Notifications.

    I know that I can turn on "visible bell" in Control
    Center/Regional.../Accessibility, but this is not a satisfying
    solution since it does not tell me "there has been a bell in that
    terminal window" when I return to my computer after being on coffee
    break.

    I don't really care about which terminal emulator I use (as long as
    UTF-8 works well), so I'm perfectly fine with a solution that is
    specific to one non-konsole terminal emulator.

    Greetings and TIA,
    Heinzi

  2. Re: Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar

    Heinrich Moser wrote:
    > Hi!

    > For technical reasons (sporadic display errors with UTF-8), I need to
    > use a different terminal emulator than konsole (i.e. gnome-terminal,
    > xterm, ...). What do I need to configure to make sure these terminal
    > emulators are highlighted in the KDE taskbar when a system bell event
    > occurs? I would like an effect similar to the one I get with konsole
    > when setting "Mark taskbar entry" on "Bell emitted within a visible
    > session" in Control Center/Sound.../System Notifications.

    > I know that I can turn on "visible bell" in Control
    > Center/Regional.../Accessibility, but this is not a satisfying
    > solution since it does not tell me "there has been a bell in that
    > terminal window" when I return to my computer after being on coffee
    > break.

    xterm patch #225 has "Enable Bell Urgency" (menu and resource), which
    sounds like what you're asking for.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar

    Hi!

    Thomas Dickey writes:
    > Heinrich Moser wrote:
    >> For technical reasons (sporadic display errors with UTF-8), I need to
    >> use a different terminal emulator than konsole (i.e. gnome-terminal,
    >> xterm, ...). What do I need to configure to make sure these terminal
    >> emulators are highlighted in the KDE taskbar when a system bell event
    >> occurs? [...]

    > xterm patch #225 has "Enable Bell Urgency" (menu and resource), which
    > sounds like what you're asking for.

    Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. It turned out that
    "Pop on Bell" (resource popOnBell, command line "-pob") also does the
    trick (and it's available in earlier versions of xterm as well).

    Greetings,
    Heinzi

  4. Re: Make non-KDE terminal emulator flash in taskbar

    Heinrich Moser wrote:
    > Hi!

    > Thomas Dickey writes:
    >> Heinrich Moser wrote:
    >>> For technical reasons (sporadic display errors with UTF-8), I need to
    >>> use a different terminal emulator than konsole (i.e. gnome-terminal,
    >>> xterm, ...). What do I need to configure to make sure these terminal
    >>> emulators are highlighted in the KDE taskbar when a system bell event
    >>> occurs? [...]

    >> xterm patch #225 has "Enable Bell Urgency" (menu and resource), which
    >> sounds like what you're asking for.

    > Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. It turned out that
    > "Pop on Bell" (resource popOnBell, command line "-pob") also does the
    > trick (and it's available in earlier versions of xterm as well).

    ok. I'd forgotten about that one, having in mind the zIconBeep, which
    didn't highlight the taskbar (and would have been the usual response).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

+ Reply to Thread