--===============0654423309==

--nextPart1668728.8cWitCgxyL

Hi,
As you may know, Ellen and Olaf, in conjunction with others from the HCI=20
working group, have produced a detailed draft of suggested changes to=20
whatsthis help for KDE 4 [1, executive summary below]. The draft was=20
submitted to Qt for their opinion, but they don't expect to be able to=20
consider implementing in time for KDE 4. Therefore, we think it would be=20
appropriate to implement the changes at the KDE libraries level. For this, =
we=20
need someone who can code :-). The specification is fairly detailed, so=20
hopefully this will make implementation eas(y|ier). Without being a coder, =
I=20
can't say for certain what skills would be required, although I imagine tha=
t=20
some familiarity with Qt and perhaps kwin would be useful.

Although we're asking for your help, we'd be willing to do as much as we ca=
n,=20
and work closely to identify and solve any issues that come up. I think tha=
t=20
we can also be quite flexible with how we proceed - if you're only able to =
do=20
a design for the implementation, for example, that would be fine.

Cheers,
Philip

1. http://www.userbrain.de/whatsthis/id...ary06_v1.1.pdf

Executive summary: there's a natural progression in the help system from=20
tooltips->whatsthis->docs (ie, increasing detail), but the existing GUI kee=
ps=20
these quite separate. We'd like to connect them. There are also some proble=
ms=20
with the existing whatsthis implementation, which generally stem from the=20
fact that whatsthis bubbles aren't honest-to-goodness windows. We suggest=20
promoting them
=2D-=20