Bob Rossi wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:09:24PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Bob Rossi wrote:
>> >Is this portable to linux/solaris/aix/hp? I'm assumming that it is
>> > not, but just want to know.

>> KDE runs on all of those platforms, so KHTML works on them too.

>So, I really need to know, is it OK to embed KHTML in a proprietary
>application? Qt is not an issue, is KDE? or is this answer not black and

=46irst of all, let me make this clear: I am not a lawyer. Only your legal=
counsel can give you a satisfactory answer.

KHTML is LGPL, which is supposed to be Ok for proprietary applications.=20
However, you must familiarise yourself with the license, because it's not=20
equivalent to public domain.

KHTML, in its core, is independent from Qt -- this is how Apple is using=20
it in WebKit. KDE constructs a thin wrapper around it and adds=20
functionality using Qt. KDE then adds another wrapper around it called=20
KHTMLPart, which integrates with its KParts system -- this is how=20
Konqueror uses it.

KHTMLPart and the KDE Qt-using code are LGPL. However, Qt itself is not:=20
it's licensed GPL, QPL and, if you buy a commercial license, that=20
commercial license too.

thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com Trolltech AS
GPG: 0x6EF45358 | Sandakerveien 116,
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C | NO-0402
966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358 | Oslo, Norway

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)