--===============1579621943==

--nextPart2042945.jhrXOWAPb7

Hi,

A while ago, I observed a crash in a program called genshortcutents=20
which runs during the kdelibs4 build. I backtraced the crash and=20
found that it was caused by a null pointer dereference in=20
kkeyserver_x11.cpp : QX11Info::display() returned null because=20
KApplication was initialised with GUI disabled in genshortcutents.=20
(see:=20
http://developer.kde.org/documentati...-apidocs/kdec=
ore/html/classKApplication.html#a0 )

The behaviour of genshortcutents on my system at the time was to crash,=20
regardless of whether or not X is running. I changed the code to=20
initialise KApplication with GUI enabled. This changed the behaviour=20
of the program so that it would run fine if X was running, but=20
wouldn't run at all without it.

Since then, the change I made has been reverted, and genshortcutents=20
has returned to the old behaviour of crashing regardless of whether or=20
not X is running. Since the revert was made, I suppose this means=20
other people are not seeing these crashes. I would like to confirm=20
that this is the case.

I would appreciate it if some readers would build the latest kdelibs4=20
snapshot and then run from within the top level build dir:
kdoctools/genshortcutents -o kdoctools/kde-standard-accels.entities

And tell me whether the command succeeds, and what its output is. This=20
is what I get:
When running X:
genshortcutents: ERROR: QX11Info::display() returns 0. I'm probably =20
going to crash now.
genshortcutents: ERROR: If this is a KApplication initialized without=20
GUI stuff, change it to be initialized with GUI stuff.
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter =3D 2
KCrash: Application Name =3D lt-genshortcutents path =3D pid =3D=
=20
10662

When not running X:
genshortcutents: ERROR: QX11Info::display() returns 0. I'm probably=20
going to crash now.
genshortcutents: ERROR: If this is a KApplication initialized without=20
GUI stuff, change it to be initialized with GUI stuff.
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter =3D 2
KCrash: Application Name =3D lt-genshortcutents path =3D pid =3D=
=20
10677
Unable to start Dr. Konqi

I'd really like to track down why I am seeing these crashes, and=20
evidently other people aren't. Thanks in advance for your time!

Rohan