Having previously built and successfully linked to shared libraries,
for some reason I cannot now get my current test client to link
to the libmylib.so shared library.

The error message is as below. Notice the .libs element, which is
typically where intermediate .so objects are placed under debug/src
in the local project. Why is it looking there, rather than in a /usr/lib,
/opt/kde3/lib or other system directory?

g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.5/../../..//.libs/libmylib.so: No
such file or directory

What am I missing?

The client has the program-in-bin options -lmylib set, and I have tried
adding $(all_libraries) $(KDE_RPATH) to no effect.

The makefile of the library sets the install path to /opt/kde3/lib and the
..la and .so files are duly installed there.

The original shared object library is created as a target program-in-bin,
with flags -shared and -o libmylib.so

Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew Mather.