--===============0016416767==

--nextPart1787086.dtz9bos1om

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:18, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 26 February 2006 17:29, Stefan Winter wrote:
> > I did the update to GCC 3.4 with deleting gcc-3.3.6 and afterwards
> > "emerge -eNu world".

>=20
> > That generated the whole installation, and=20
> > especially all libraries KDE might want to link against, new with
> > the gcc-3.4.4 profile and ABI.

>=20
> No it didn't.
>=20
> emerge world will update packages that you have *specifically mentioned=20

on the=20
> emerge command line*.
>=20
> What this means is that if you did i.e. "emerge kdemultimedia", and=20
> kdemultimedia depended on tunepimp and OggFLAC due to your use flags,=20

then=20
> tunepimp and OggFLAC were downloaded/installed, but not added to the=20

world=20
> file (and therefore, were not updated by your emerge command).

I think you may be wrong. Note the '-e' option to emerge. Assuming=20
portage is healthy to start with, I think this should reinstall absolutely=
=20
everything on his system, including dependencies due to USE flags. The=20
only missed things might be things for which ebuilds are no longer=20
available, or things which --depclean would remove anyway.

Rohan