--===============0993695333==

--nextPart3219536.xnJka0oTr3

On Sunday 26 February 2006 17:29, Stefan Winter wrote:
> I did the update to GCC 3.4 with deleting gcc-3.3.6 and afterwards
> "emerge -eNu world".

> That generated the whole installation, and=20
> especially all libraries KDE might want to link against, new with
> the gcc-3.4.4 profile and ABI.

No it didn't.

emerge world will update packages that you have *specifically mentioned on =
the=20
emerge command line*.

What this means is that if you did i.e. "emerge kdemultimedia", and=20
kdemultimedia depended on tunepimp and OggFLAC due to your use flags, then=
=20
tunepimp and OggFLAC were downloaded/installed, but not added to the world=
=20
file (and therefore, were not updated by your emerge command).

You're not in for a lot of fun, as any C++ packages you've installed (direc=
tly=20
or indirectly) were b0rked by the 3.3 -> 3.4 switch and will need to be=20
re-emerged.

Also any stray .la files that refer to gcc 3.3 or C++ libraries built using=
=20
gcc 3.3 need to be updated. I believe Gentoo has a fix_libtool_files.sh=20
command to do that automatically.

> Can someone provide a hint on that one?

Other than try to use the error output to guess at the broken C++ library a=
nd=20
re-emerge it, not really.

Regards,
- Michael Pyne