Joaqu=EDn Fern=E1ndez Quiles wrote:
>Hi.. I am developing a program for KDE and i have read several post
> about DCOP. I was wondering what is DCOP? for what is? how can i use
> it?
>I have read some links but are a few complicated for me.

DCOP stands for Desktop COmmunication Protocol. It's the Inter-Process=20
Communication and Remote Procedure Calling (IPC, RPC for short) mechanism=20
that we use throughout KDE. It has existed since 1999 and has been a part=20
of KDE since 2.0's betas.

It's a really simple message-passing mechanism that relies on existing=20
technologies (namely, ICE and Qt's QDataStream).=20

You can create DCOP interfaces by writing abstract C++ classes and=20
processing them with the proper dcopidl* tools. The KDE buildsystem=20
automatically does that for you if you declare your files as *.skel or=20

However, we're probably going to phase DCOP out for KDE 4. For many=20
reasons, we're investigating alternatives and the current front-runner is=20
D-Bus. There's a high probability that KDE 4 will use D-Bus instead of=20
DCOP. And where DCOP was simple, D-Bus is designed to be interoperable=20
with other languages other than C++/Qt.

As an anecdote, the day DCOP was introduced in KDE became later known=20
as "the day we made KDE 10 times faster", because it replaced the CORBA=20
solution that was there, or so I'm told. I wasn't around yet to witness=20
that event. :-)

Disclaimer: I am the current maintainer of the QtDBus library and probably=
the main advocate for its use.
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And =E6fter se scieppend ingelogode, he wr=E1t "cenn", ac eala! se=20
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne w=E1t h=FA cennan 'eall'. =C1stynt."

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.1 (GNU/Linux)