From: Lubos Lunak [mailto:l.lunak@suse.cz]
Sent: 14 February 2006 12:17
To: kde-devel@kde.org
Subject: Re: XA_WM_NAME / XA_WM_COMMAND always blank!

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 09:57, Simon Guerrero wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am developing an application which needs to identify all the windows on

> display which have visible windows and read their titles and - if possible
> - the command line which launched them.
>
> I use XQueryTree to read the root window's child hierarchy, then
> XGetTextProperty to read the XA_WM_NAME and XA_WM_COMMAND properties.
>
> However, under KDE I have observed that the values always come back null
> (with the corresponding nitems at zero) for all mapped windows. If I

remove
> the restriction which allows NotVisible windows to be processed, I do get
> names back (not the ones which appear in the title bar, but just the app
> name - e.g. "kconsole").

As "xwininfo -root -tree" shows, windows have WM_NAME set and you must have
mistake somewhere.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer

<<

This message has been checked for all known viruses on behalf of SunGard
Vivista by MessageLabs.

http://www.messagelabs.com or Email: mailsweeper.info@vivista.sungard.com

For further information http://www.sungard.com/vivista

the system manager.