--===============1746486123==

------_=_NextPart_001_01C63143.D7C68D70

Hi

I am developing an application which needs to identify all the windows on a
display which have visible windows and read their titles and - if possible -
the command line which launched them.

I use XQueryTree to read the root window's child hierarchy, then
XGetTextProperty to read the XA_WM_NAME and XA_WM_COMMAND properties.

However, under KDE I have observed that the values always come back null
(with the corresponding nitems at zero) for all mapped windows. If I remove
the restriction which allows NotVisible windows to be processed, I do get
names back (not the ones which appear in the title bar, but just the app
name - e.g. "kconsole").

I've done this before (admittedly, ages ago) on other systems and had no
problems. Does KDE do something to remove the properties? I even tested it
on a home-brew X app which explicitly adds an XA_WM_NAME, only to find that
it has gone when I query it.

Strangely, if I force XA_WM_NAME to something when the window is already
visible, that property then stays.

So, is there something weird about windows under KDE? I really need this to
work under a range of desktops and window managers, and don't particularly
want to write something different for each one. Here's hoping I'm just being
dumb!

Thanks

Simon

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

This message has been checked for all known viruses on behalf of SunGard Vivista by MessageLabs.

http://www.messagelabs.com or Email: mailsweeper.info@vivista.sungard.com

For further information http://www.sungard.com/vivista
------_=_NextPart_001_01C63143.D7C68D70

size=2>Hi

[...]