--===============0965290519==

--nextPart1274066.CicchEtsyJ

Am Samstag, 11. Februar 2006 14:39 schrieb Ivor Hewitt:
> All of these assume I had the ability to gain root access of the machine =

that=20
> the victim is logged into. So shock horror, it's possible for a system ad=

min=20
> to access my files/session.

Just to state it clearly (as the victim is logged into two machines,=20
his local one and the remote one he connects to using "ssh -X"): =20
Root is needed only on the remote machine.

Do you feel it's normal and that everyone is aware(!) that anyone being root
(by admin role or by exploit) on a remote machine I "ssh -X" into can=20
do arbitrary things to my *local* X server (keyloggers and faked password=20
dialogs come to mind)? Why should a remote admin have the right to open=20
windows on my local machine. Ok, you could say I allowed him to do that=20
by specifying that very "-X" option. =20

I think the warning is justified. It may be a bit off-topic on a=20
KDE-specific list though.=20

Christian.=20