Hello,

Today is my first day using udev+dbus+hal+pmount. It just doesnt work
with current _unstable_ debian.
On the command line pmount works fine, hal shows device information, KDE
pops up the window when I insert a CD or flashpen. But, when I click it
to open it in a new konq window, the device is mounted but the window
just throbs and throbs, and never display the contents of the drive.
If I go to, let's say, /media/scd0, I can browse the contents. KDE also
don't change the icon of the drive to the mounted icon, and if I click
RELOAD on the konq window, I get an error: according to mtab, the device
is already mounted in bla bla...
Well, I'm not familiar with KDE source code but I downloaded kdebase and
found kioslave/media/mounthelper/kio_media_mounthelper.cpp is doing
KIO::mount() but I'm not sure if that mount() is setting mount flags in
HAL. Also, kioslave/media/mediamanager/halbackend.cpp don't set such
flags. To make sure KDE media was missing something, I did the
following:

1. put a CD on the drive

2. clicked CANCEL on the popup

3. mounted the disk manually (using pmount, because I have no entries in
fstab)
$ kio_media_mounthelper media:/scd0
$ mount | grep scd0
/dev/scd0 on /media/scd0 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=alec)

4. on the media applet, the drive is still unmounted, if I try to mount
I'll get the error "according to mtab, bla bla"

5. checked HAL mount flag for that device
$ hal-get-property
--udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_RED_Reader --key
volume.is_mounted
false

6. set up HAL mount flag and mount point manually
$ sudo hal-set-property
--udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_RED_Reader --key
volume.is_mounted --bool true
$ sudo hal-set-property
--udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_label_RED_Reader --key
volume.mount_point --string /media/scd0/

When I did that, media applet recognized the disk, konq acessed
media:/scd0 with no errors.
Seems like KIO::mount() is missing something when using HAL backend, or
something like that.

--
Alexandre Fiori
Analista de Sistemas