On Saturday 17 December 2005 17:48, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 17 December 2005 22:56, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> > Am Samstag 17 Dezember 2005 19:46 schrieb Alan Ezust:
> > > I recently compiled kdelibs+kdebase (3.5) and tried to run some apps -
> > > kdevelop and umbrello both had problems - they couldn't talk to
> > > 'klauncher' and the solution I found was to run kdeinit myself. I had
> > > never done that before, and had no idea that it was necessary. And you
> > > say it's not? Why did I have to run kdeinit manually?

> > I usually get that behaviour when NOT installing KDE-Libs as root. I think
> > there need some things to be setuid root which can only be done when
> > installing as root.

> Sorry, but this isn't true. I have been installing KDE as non-root for... 8 years now,
> and it always worked fine.
> The only exceptions are
> - kppp needs to be suid root
> - kdesud needs to be sgid root (to remember the pass iirc, but it works without)
> - kcheckpass needs to be sgid root to be able to unlock the screen

I have a problem with klickety and kmines:
/home/daf}kmines
The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.
/home/daf}klickety
The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.

/home/daf}(cd /usr/local/bin; ls -l klickety kmines)
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root bin 147716 Sep 4 05:40 klickety
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root bin 240228 Sep 4 05:40 kmines
/home/daf}

--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"