I recently compiled kdelibs+kdebase (3.5) and tried to run some apps -
kdevelop and umbrello both had problems - they couldn't talk to
'klauncher' and the solution I found was to run kdeinit myself. I had
never done that before, and had no idea that it was necessary. And you
say it's not? Why did I have to run kdeinit manually?