In the KMainWindow widget, I have tried:

setUpdatesEnabled( false );
if ( lastGUIClient )
factory()->removeClient( lastGUIClient );
factory()->addClient( newGUIClient );
lastGUIClient = newGUIClient;
setUpdatesEnabled( true );

to prevent flickering, as well as a combination of calling setUpdatesEnabled
to other widgets (such as the toolbars and dock area) - but without success.

BTW, I am only interested in preventing updates when adding and removing
toolbars (not merging toolbars - although I have tried merging toolbars and
there is flicker there as well).

I don't know much about setUpdatesEnabled, but it looks like it only prevents
updates to that widget, not any child widgets? If so, will this approach work
when creating a new toolbar?