--===============1844040629==

--nextPart1379464.1d6lteK8bQ

Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> KDE3 apps from a KDE4 desktop would be nice (especially for apps that
>> don't get ported). Would the opposite be true also? Running a KDE4 app
>> from a KDE3 desktop? Some companies, government entities and schools
>> might take quite a while to upgrade their systems to KDE4, but we'd
>> still like them to be able to use what we develop on KDE4.

That's a worthy goal I'd like to see happen. KDE3 applications running in=20
KDE4 is probably a must-have, given the number of extragear and=20
third-party applications.

Unlike the KDE2 -> KDE3 times, we now have very popular apps in extragear,=
=20
like k3b and amarok.

What is a nice-to-have objective but possibly not easy is running KDE4 in=20
a KDE3 environment.

>I'd say yes, it would be no different than running said KDE4 application
> on any other non-KDE4 desktop.

In fact, it is also directly tied to the level of interaction between apps=
=20
I mentioned before.

We all know that launching a KDE application in a non-KDE environment=20
launches the DCOP server, klauncher and ioslaves, maybe more stuff,=20
depending on the app. So, is a KDEx application supposed to talk to the=20
services of the KDEy environment, where x !=3D y?

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't have the manpower to integrate the=20
environments, so KDE3 applications won't reach the KDE4 environment and=20
vice-versa. On the plus side, the scenario you mention seems likely, but=20
on the negative side, you'll see klauncher3 and klauncher4 running=20
concurrently...

=2D-=20
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. T=F3 cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wear=F0 se c=E6gbord a=
nd se=20
leohtspeccabord, and =FEa m=FDs c=F3mon lator. On =FEone d=E6g, he hine res=
te.