--===============1717949240==

--nextPart1315453.COgnIKT9MH

Volker Lukas wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> [...]
>> So you can expect people to compile it with -fno-exceptions. If you
>> write applications that rely on exceptions being enabled in Qt, you'll
>> be shooting yourself in the foot. Don't do that.

>No. The user who disables it is a fault here. Exception support is
> needed for *correct* programs to be executed *correctly*. If the user
> willfully asks the compiler to produce incorrect output, he has to live
> with the outcome. He can not just assume that nobody uses exceptions in
> conjunction with Qt.

Hmm... I think you misunderstood again: I'm not talking about users=20
setting -fno-exceptions on applications that do use exceptions. I'm=20
talking about Qt being compiled with that flag. Applications can and will=20
continue to use exceptions if so needed --- including KDE applications=20
and certain libraries.

Disabling exceptions in Qt does not affect exceptions in other segments of=
=20
code. As long as you don't propagate exceptions to the Qt libraries.

Of course setting -fno-exceptions on code that expects exceptions to work=20
is asking for trouble. The code will most likely fail to compile. At the=20
very least, it won't run correctly.

The point is that Qt doesn't require exceptions to work and the configure=20
script explicitly tells the users that they can safely turn exceptions=20
off.

=2D-=20
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. T=F3 cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wear=F0 se c=E6gbord a=
nd se=20
leohtspeccabord, and =FEa m=FDs c=F3mon lator. On =FEone d=E6g, he hine res=
te.