--===============1678787279==

--nextPart3089575.3vqFHj3tk0

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>> True. And I think all those "new" that allocate memory that is
>> potentially large should either be in a try/catch block or use
>> new(nothrow) so as to catch bad allocations. One such case is
>> demarshalling a QDataStream.

>=A0That still may not actually help that much with memory overcommitting.

That's a different problem.

Memory overcommitting means the memory requested to be allocated was of a=20
reasonable size. And when you run out of memory after overcommitting, the=20
application gets a SIGBUS that's really difficult to understand.

What I am suggesting is getting rid of unreasonable memory allocations.=20
There are many cases of backtraces in bugs.kde.org of applications=20
crashing after std::bad_alloc was thrown from the inside of=20
QString::setLength.

=2D-=20
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. T=F3 cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wear=F0 se c=E6gbord a=
nd se=20
leohtspeccabord, and =FEa m=FDs c=F3mon lator. On =FEone d=E6g, he hine res=
te.