On Sunday 07 August 2005 10:04 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Samstag 06 August 2005 04:36 schrieb Gary Cramblitt:
> > The KSpeech DCOP interface in KDE 3 has a number of arguments of type
> > QCString. It appears that these should be changed in KDE4 to DCOPCStri=

ng
> > (which inherits from QByteArray)? I assume this will break all apps th=

at
> > use KSpeech? If so, would QByteArray be a better choice? What are oth=

er
> > DCOP interfaces doing about this issue?

> DCOPCString is exactly what replaces QCString - QCString is no more and
> used to inherit QByteArray before just as now is DCOPCString.

Looking around in kdelibs, I'm finding a variety of answers.

trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kcmshell/main.h:
----
public:

/**
* Sets m_dcopName basically to @p dcopName,
* and then registers with DCOP.
*
* @param dcopName name to set the DCOP name to
* @param rootMode true if the kcmshell is embedding
*/
void setDCOPName(const Q3CString &dcopName, bool rootMode );
-----

trunk/KDE/kdelibs/interfaces/kimproxy/library/kimproxyiface.h:
-----
class KIMProxyIface : virtual public DCOPObject
{
K_DCOP
k_dcop:
virtual void contactPresenceChanged( QString uid, DCOPCString appId, int =

presence ) =3D 0;
};
----

trunk/KDE/kdelibs/interfaces/kimproxy/interface/kimiface.h:
----
k_dcop_signals:
/**
* Indicates that a contact's presence has changed
* @param uid the KABC uid whose presence changed.
* @param appId the dcop application id of the program the signal originat=
es =

from.
* @param presence the new numeric presence @ref presenceStatus
*/
void contactPresenceChanged( QString uid, Q3CString appId, int presence );
----

There seem to be 3 choices for DCOP single-byte character strings:

QByteArray
DCOPCString
Q3CString

Functionally, all 3 are essentially the same. However, since the compiler =
is =

picky about typing, I think we should agree on a "standard". Should =

DCOPCString be that standard?

-- =

Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer