--===============1680152451==

--nextPart1720071.4JtD0XUe7S

Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 06:35 schrieb Alan Ezust:
> I have a debian package called kdelibs4 which is not=20
> kde4, since kde4 is not out yet, but why is there something out there cal=

led=20
> kdelibs4 already? That's really confusing. Someone should rename that deb=

ian=20
> package, wouldn't you agree?

As you've correctly concluded the "4" in kdelibs4 has nothing to do with=20
the KDE version number. =20
It's just part of Debian's package name. The version number is=20
the 3.4.1 (for the package I have installed):

> dpkg -l | grep "kdelibs4 "

ii kdelibs4 3.4.1-1 core libraries for all KDE applications

Compare this to the packages for the MySQL client lib:=20

libmysqlclient10 - LGPL-licensed client library for MySQL databases
libmysqlclient12 - mysql database client library
libmysqlclient14 - mysql database client library

There's no MySQL version 10, 12 or 14 either. These packages are for
versions 3, 4.0 and 4.1 respectively. As you can see, this naming=20
scheme is not only used for KDE libs. I *think* this is necessary=20
to allow parallel installation of libs (e.g. for compatibility).

Christian.=20

--nextPart1720071.4JtD0XUe7S

--nextPart1720071.4JtD0XUe7S--

e <<