El lun, 11-07-2005 a las 03:05 +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau escribi=F3:

> =

> Are relative paths supported? And what happes if you tell your mother "Pi=

ck up =

> my picture at home:/images/newgirlfriend.jpg..."

Yes, exactly this use case is one of my biggest concerns... not to
mention that dragging from a konqueror running as my user to a konqueror
running as root will create who knows what havoc! admins use this every
day.

> =

> > UNIX will never be a feasible desktop OS until mounting is completely
> > hidden and transparent to the user. My biggest problem with media:/ is =

as
> > follows: A devices should be automatically mounted whenever the user tr=

ies
> > to access it (media:/ has done this) and AUTOMATICALLY UNMOUNTED WHENEV=

ER
> > THE USER IS DONE ACCESSING IT (media:/ has not done this). There should
> > then be no overlay on device icons indicated whether they are mounted or
> > unmounted, because user's don't know about mounting. =

> =

> But users know the concept of locking and synchronizing (=3Dsaving). Moun=

ted =

> devices (yes, automatically like you say below) should simply be marked a=

s =

> "Not yet synchronized, please wait...". Do not tell them about mounting, =

tell =

> them "Data is still stored... Ready in a minute." This concept is met in =

a =

> lot of places, people are used to it and can deal with it.
> =

> > Of course, this could =

> > be done automatically through something like subfs, autofs, or supermou=

nt,
> > but since those tools don't really work and are not widely utilized,
> > media:/ will probably have to do this on its own.

> =

> media:/ could do its own time-out unmounting, perhaps?
> =

> > Other outstanding issues include
> >
> > 1) mounted filesystems still appear as if they are located on the root
> > device (e.g. media:/hd0/media/floppy0 contains the contents of media:/f=

d0)

> > 2) there is no userspace mounting on Linux, even if the user has owners=

hip
> > of the device node, so hot-pluggable devices cannot be utilized except =

by
> > first mounting them as root or setting them up in fstab, which complete=

ly
> > defies the definition of "hot-pluggable". It is also no possible to mou=

nt
> > such things as ISO images in userspace, which if were possible could be=

> > great feature for KDE.
> >
> > 3) the floppy drive must always appear in media:/ on PC systems, even w=

hen
> > no disk is present, because there is no way to tell if there is one
> > present. =

> =

> There is a way, but it is too noisy
> =

> > Thus, CD-ROMs and other non-hot-pluggable devices should always =

> > appear in media:/ as well for consistency.

> =

> Please note the difference between pluggable devices and pluggable medium=

s. So =

> not a CD-ROM medium but an empty CD drive should be shown if there is no =

CD =

> inserted. The CD drive might be hotpluggable, too (USB), but that is a =

> different story And it would also be nice if the real medium type is =

> always shown, like DVD, CDRW or CDROM.
> =

> > 4) it is possible for a PC user to remove a floppy disk before it is
> > unmounted.

> =

> The same applies to USB-Sticks...
> =