s=F6ndagen den 10 juli 2005 21.13 skrev Szombathelyi Gy=F6rgy:
> > The problem here is that users expect that going Up from where they
> > clicked goes back to where they were. That's one of the big problems wi=

th
> > kio_devices that we are trying hard to solve.

> Yes, that's what I wrote that a 'smart' solution needs here. But I think
> that inventing a new naming scheme just because the 'up' button does not
> work a bit of over-engineering.

Isn't this where the concept of a "back" button should be learned?

I was into writing something that looks like KDirStat for windows some year=
s =

ago.
Not having the definition of the relations between "This Computer", "Deskto=
p", =

"My Documents" completely clear (you know, they differ in reaction to your =

locale/language) it was a PITA to support as a programmer.

I would like to raise a loud warning about going where relations between pa=
ths =

are so virtual that "up" jumps between different locations on different =

depths within the real unix path. It is a pain to program for, and I guess =

people like it arranged differently as well. So perhaps the KDE devs would =

like to allow for *customized relations* as well (!!!). =

Now, how fun would it be to discuss bugs in such a system?

It isn't very broke as it is, right?

Please, stick to the back button instead of connecting "Up" from root of a =

removable device to something else than just the directory above.

There is one other view on this matter, namely to already be at the top of =
a =

protocol that doesn't have a local unix path representation, e.g. =

sftp://hostname/
From there, it is far more logical that "Up" leads to system:/ or whatever =

instead of being disabled.

Please don't get too deep into complex virtualities about the filesystem.

Regards,
-- =

Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64=
79
MSN: jonaswidarsson@hotmail.com ICQ: 72016688 jabber: jonas@widarsson.com
=

e <<