Content-Type: multipart/signed;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Content-Type: text/plain;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Am Sonntag, 10. Juli 2005 22:22, schrieb Luke Sandell:
> On Wednesday, July 6, 2005 1:20 am, Manuel Amador wrote:
> > Why the hell are we moving away from standard UNIX paths, and inventing
> > another arcane proprietary path/resource location system?

> Because the UNIX filesystem is incomprehensible to the average user. No
> casual user is ever going to understand the idea of a single root
> directory, or the concept of "mounting" filesystems.=20

Depends of the visual presentation...

> Unfortunately,=20
> Windows-style drive letters and synchronous access (that actually works)
> are probably not going to be introduced on UNIX anytime soon, and so there
> is no way to solve this except abstracting it away.

Although the "Letter:" make a nice url, too. I wonder why none of the "we c=
imitate windows" linux vendors has ever implemented such ioslaves for acces=
to the windows drives and windows shares :P

> The organization of the UNIX filesystem is not really much of an issue,
> because users generally only care about browsing files in their home
> directory. That is why the Home Folder entries were introduced in the
> Konqueror sidepane and in the file selection dialog. I would support home=

> if it made sense. Unfortunately, to access my home directory, I would have
> to type home:/luke instead of /home/luke, not much of an improvement.
> Simply home:/ would make sense.

Are relative paths supported? And what happes if you tell your mother "Pick=
my picture at home:/images/newgirlfriend.jpg..."

> UNIX will never be a feasible desktop OS until mounting is completely
> hidden and transparent to the user. My biggest problem with media:/ is as
> follows: A devices should be automatically mounted whenever the user tries
> to access it (media:/ has done this) and AUTOMATICALLY UNMOUNTED WHENEVER
> THE USER IS DONE ACCESSING IT (media:/ has not done this). There should
> then be no overlay on device icons indicated whether they are mounted or
> unmounted, because user's don't know about mounting.=20

But users know the concept of locking and synchronizing (=3Dsaving). Mounte=
devices (yes, automatically like you say below) should simply be marked as=
"Not yet synchronized, please wait...". Do not tell them about mounting, te=
them "Data is still stored... Ready in a minute." This concept is met in a=
lot of places, people are used to it and can deal with it.

> Of course, this could=20
> be done automatically through something like subfs, autofs, or supermount,
> but since those tools don't really work and are not widely utilized,
> media:/ will probably have to do this on its own.

media:/ could do its own time-out unmounting, perhaps?

> Other outstanding issues include
> 1) mounted filesystems still appear as if they are located on the root
> device (e.g. media:/hd0/media/floppy0 contains the contents of media:/fd0)
> 2) there is no userspace mounting on Linux, even if the user has ownership
> of the device node, so hot-pluggable devices cannot be utilized except by
> first mounting them as root or setting them up in fstab, which completely
> defies the definition of "hot-pluggable". It is also no possible to mount
> such things as ISO images in userspace, which if were possible could be a
> great feature for KDE.
> 3) the floppy drive must always appear in media:/ on PC systems, even when
> no disk is present, because there is no way to tell if there is one
> present.=20

There is a way, but it is too noisy

> Thus, CD-ROMs and other non-hot-pluggable devices should always=20
> appear in media:/ as well for consistency.

Please note the difference between pluggable devices and pluggable mediums.=
not a CD-ROM medium but an empty CD drive should be shown if there is no CD=
inserted. The CD drive might be hotpluggable, too (USB), but that is a=20
different story And it would also be nice if the real medium type is=20
always shown, like DVD, CDRW or CDROM.

> 4) it is possible for a PC user to remove a floppy disk before it is
> unmounted.

The same applies to USB-Sticks...


Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)



Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline


>> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscrib=

e <<