--===============0757044272==

--nextPart2489999.o6Mzd5TBnr

Luke Sandell wrote:
>UNIX will never be a feasible desktop OS until mounting is completely
> hidden and transparent to the user. My biggest problem with media:/ is
> as follows: A devices should be automatically mounted whenever the user
> tries to access it (media:/ has done this) and AUTOMATICALLY UNMOUNTED
> WHENEVER THE USER IS DONE ACCESSING IT (media:/ has not done this).
> There should then be no overlay on device icons indicated whether they
> are mounted or unmounted, because user's don't know about mounting. Of
> course, this could be done automatically through something like subfs,
> autofs, or supermount, but since those tools don't really work and are
> not widely utilized, media:/ will probably have to do this on its own.

Have you ever heard of supermount?

It does what you asked for above. Mounts when used, umounts when no longer=
=20
used.

The first thing I do when I install a new distribution that supports=20
supermount is to disable it. Also mind you that those distributions patch=20
KDE so that supermount is better integrateed.

>1) mounted filesystems still appear as if they are located on the root
> device (e.g. media:/hd0/media/floppy0 contains the contents of
> media:/fd0)

There's no way around that, because the contents are really there.

>2) there is no userspace mounting on Linux, even if the user has
> ownership of the device node, so hot-pluggable devices cannot be
> utilized except by first mounting them as root or setting them up in
> fstab, which completely defies the definition of "hot-pluggable". It is
> also no possible to mount such things as ISO images in userspace, which
> if were possible could be a great feature for KDE.

Hello? Where did you get that idea from?

Of course a user can mount devices. The only thing is that the=20
administrator must have given the users permission to do so.

As for ISOs... it makes sense, but I don't think it's going to happen=20
anytime soon.

>3) the floppy drive must always appear in media:/ on PC systems, even
> when no disk is present, because there is no way to tell if there is
> one present. Thus, CD-ROMs and other non-hot-pluggable devices should
> always appear in media:/ as well for consistency.

They do here.

I think the problem you are seeing is a deficiency in hald. Report it as a=
=20
bug.

>4) it is possible for a PC user to remove a floppy disk before it is
>unmounted.

Yes, of course. There's no way to prevent that, like we do with CD-ROMs.

=2D-=20
PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C 966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he g=C3=A9anhwearf t=C3=B3 timbran, and hwonne he c=C3=B3m, l=C3=A1!=
Unix cw=C3=A6=C3=B0 "Hello,=20
World". =C7=BCfre =C7=BDghwilc w=C3=A6s gl=C3=A6d and seo woruld w=C3=A6s f=
r=C3=A9o.

--nextPart2489999.o6Mzd5TBnr

--nextPart2489999.o6Mzd5TBnr--

e <<