On 7/10/05, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 01:10:10PM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > If you have an uncrackable safe in your house, it doesn't really
> > matter if people know about it or not.
> > =

> nonsense. the safer the safe is, the higher the expected value of the
> content. and that makes you a target for social engineering tricks (at
> least to find out what actually _is_ in this safe), extortion or
> torture.

Sure, but in a country where they would torture you if they suspected
you of hiding information, they are going to torture you just for
having the encrypted "blob" on your hard drive, whether it has
encrypted info in it or not (which they can't tell). This is why I
don't really think a project like Freenet has a lot of real world use.
I mean, if a country is regulating communications, does anyone really
believe they would allow Freenet traffic to go through? Using Freenet
in China or Iran would probably put you on a list of suspects pronto. =

Same with this sort of thing.
We don't want to make the mere use of KDE suspicious, since it would
easily enable people to hide information.

~leo
=

e <<