AS 400 - printing to printer - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on AS 400 - printing to printer - IBM AS400 ; Does anyone know how to setup an AS400 to print to a printer whereby the user prints a file, the file is sent to the printer but the job is not printed until the user goes to the printer and ...

  1. AS 400 - printing to printer

    Does anyone know how to setup an AS400 to print to a printer whereby the user prints a file, the file is sent to the printer but the job is not printed until the user goes to the printer and releases his or her print job by entering in a user code that only he or she knows?

    The owner of the AS 400 does not what users to be able to automaticaly print files without ensuring that the user is at the printer to authorize the print of their document. This is for security reasons.

  2. Re: AS 400 - printing to printer

    I would love to see a variation of this where the user ID and maybe even a password could be embedded in the control sequences for a print job. I deal with various copier/printers that do output accounting and require a user ID. Our current 'fix' is to turn off output accounting for those jobs that are generated by the AIX box.

    PCs and MACs have a way for you to enter the user ID and, if needed, a password when a print job is spooled. I suspect that AIX can do something similar, but I haven't been able to find how to do it yet.

+ Reply to Thread