reload box with a dead disk - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on reload box with a dead disk - IBM AS400 ; have a 400 with a qty of disks in a raid set. one has failed. i plan on reloading the box. (LIC, OS/400, LPPs, PTF) will the box let me shutdown, remove the failed drive, and then load LIC with ...

  1. reload box with a dead disk

    have a 400 with a qty of disks in a raid set. one has failed.

    i plan on reloading the box. (LIC, OS/400, LPPs, PTF)

    will the box let me shutdown, remove the failed drive, and then load
    LIC with a D IPL, initializing the system? or will the missing/dead
    raid set yell ?

    tia

  2. Re: reload box with a dead disk

    JHL wrote:
    > have a 400 with a qty of disks in a raid set. one has failed.
    >
    > i plan on reloading the box. (LIC, OS/400, LPPs, PTF)
    >
    > will the box let me shutdown, remove the failed drive, and then load
    > LIC with a D IPL, initializing the system? or will the missing/dead
    > raid set yell ?
    >
    > tia

    If it is RAIDed, the system should still run. You can remove the duff
    disk from SST without interrupting the operation of the system. The
    system will then refill the new disk and tell you when the recovery is
    complete.

    Search this group for notes on RAID disk replacement.

  3. Re: reload box with a dead disk

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...e/hw/index.jsp

    I would get the correct set of instructions on replacing a
    raided disk from the above link.

    There is no need for a reload on a raided system.

    JHL wrote:
    > have a 400 with a qty of disks in a raid set. one has failed.
    >
    > i plan on reloading the box. (LIC, OS/400, LPPs, PTF)
    >
    > will the box let me shutdown, remove the failed drive, and then load
    > LIC with a D IPL, initializing the system? or will the missing/dead
    > raid set yell ?
    >
    > tia

+ Reply to Thread