Disable Display Station Device - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Disable Display Station Device - IBM AS400 ; OK, here we go. We have our QMAXSGNACN set to 3=Disable device and profile which works just fine. A user fails signon three times (some flag is set?) and the device is varied off and no user can use it ...

  1. Disable Display Station Device

    OK, here we go.

    We have our QMAXSGNACN set to 3=Disable device and profile which works
    just fine. A user fails signon three times (some flag is set?) and
    the device is varied off and no user can use it until it is varied
    back on.

    However, if we just vary the device off manually and a user tries to
    sign in, the device varies on and the user can use the device again.
    So there must be some flag the system checks, right?

    So what we want is that when we vary off a display device manually
    we'd like it to stay varied off no matter who tries to use it.

    Is this just crazy talk? Would it cause problems?

    Any idea what I am missing here?

    Thanks,

    Thad Rizzi

  2. Re: Disable Display Station Device

    Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > OK, here we go.
    >
    > We have our QMAXSGNACN set to 3=Disable device and profile which works
    > just fine. A user fails signon three times (some flag is set?) and
    > the device is varied off and no user can use it until it is varied
    > back on.
    >
    > However, if we just vary the device off manually and a user tries to
    > sign in, the device varies on and the user can use the device again.
    > So there must be some flag the system checks, right?
    >
    > So what we want is that when we vary off a display device manually
    > we'd like it to stay varied off no matter who tries to use it.
    >
    > Is this just crazy talk? Would it cause problems?
    >
    > Any idea what I am missing here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

    Well, in the OLD DAYS of Twinax, you varied it off and that was that, it
    stayed off. Now today with iSeries Access/Telnet displays the system
    will go and automatically vary on the requested device. Sorry but I
    don't know how to stop it.

  3. Re: Disable Display Station Device

    On Nov 7, 12:12*am, Kirk wrote:
    > Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > > OK, here we go.

    > > We have our QMAXSGNACN set to 3=Disable device and profile which works
    > > just fine. *A user fails signon three times (some flag is set?) and
    > > the device is varied off and no user can use it until it is varied
    > > back on.

    > > However, if we just vary the device off manually and a user tries to
    > > sign in, the device varies on and the user can use the device again.
    > > So there must be some flag the system checks, right?

    > > So what we want is that when we vary off a display device manually
    > > we'd like it to stay varied off no matter who tries to use it.

    > > Is this just crazy talk? *Would it cause problems?

    > > Any idea what I am missing here?

    > > Thanks,

    > > Thad Rizzi

    > Well, in the OLD DAYS of Twinax, you varied it off and that was that, it
    > stayed off. Now today with iSeries Access/Telnet displays the system
    > will go and automatically vary on the requested device. Sorry but I
    > don't know how to stop it.- Hide quoted text -

    Look at your QAUTOCFG value, TELNET is probably dynamically allocating
    the next usable device.

  4. Re: Disable Display Station Device

    Thad is correct. The SAME device when varied off will automatically
    vary on unless the system varied it off. Changing QAUTOCFG does not
    change this. I agree, there might be a way to control this. I never
    dug to far because its too easy for a user to simply use another
    device (or session) so its kind of meaningless. I generally disable
    the profile when I want to lock someone out.

  5. Re: Disable Display Station Device

    On Nov 7, 11:17*am, Graybeard wrote:
    > Thad is correct. *The SAME device when varied off will automatically
    > vary on unless the system varied it off. * Changing QAUTOCFG does not
    > change this. *I agree, there might be a way to control this. * I never
    > dug to far because its too easy for a user to simply use another
    > device (or session) so its kind of meaningless. *I generally disable
    > the profile when I want to lock someone out.

    Another area you might look into is automatic error recovery, or
    instead of varying off the device, using HOLD on the device instead of
    OFF

  6. Re: Disable Display Station Device

    On Nov 7, 8:17*am, Graybeard wrote:
    > Thad is correct. *The SAME device when varied off will automatically
    > vary on unless the system varied it off. * Changing QAUTOCFG does not
    > change this. *I agree, there might be a way to control this. * I never
    > dug to far because its too easy for a user to simply use another
    > device (or session) so its kind of meaningless. *I generally disable
    > the profile when I want to lock someone out.

    Thanks, everyone. Hold is looking like our best option that or
    purposely failing out the device by signing on with a bad password but
    that seems kind of silly. I was hoping there might be some kind of
    API that would be the same as the system varying the device off.

+ Reply to Thread