Fixed emulation window size and position. - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Fixed emulation window size and position. - IBM AS400 ; Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the same place and not able to change it? Thanks in ...

  1. Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    same place and not able to change it?

    Thanks in advance

    --
    ..

  2. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Well, here are a couple of thoughts...

    First off, I think if you go into Iseries access for window properties
    , there is a "PC5250" tab. On that tab you can check "Store in
    session profile (*.ws) to indicated you want PC5250 window size,
    position and font information stored. The advantage of that is, if
    the user has more than one session, it will not matter in which order
    they are opened. Right now, if this is unchecked, I believe if they
    have a printer session and a display session and they open them in
    different orders each day, the printer could default to the display
    position and vice-versa.

    Next, after checking this and applying, next, open the sessions, get
    them positioned the way you want, and then SAVE them (so that now the
    window size, position and font are saved in the session profile).
    Again, SAVE that session profile.

    Next, go into the session(s) (you will have to do each one separately)
    EDIT option, then preferences, then Exit, and UNCHECK the Always for
    "save settings on exit" or check the "Never" for save settings on
    exit. That way, if they make any changes during that session, i.e.
    colors, etc., they won't get modified. That way when you open the
    session the next time, it should be identical to where it was when you
    actually saved the settings.

    The last option I might recommend would be to click on the top line of
    the session(s), and hide the menu bar and hide the tool bar - again,
    list risk of something getting clobbered. But as long as you have the
    thing set to "not save settings on exit", you should be okay even if
    these are not hidden.

    "CENTRINO" wrote:

    >Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    >Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    >same place and not able to change it?
    >

    >Thanks in advance

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  3. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Hi -

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:38:33 +0100, "CENTRINO"
    wrote:

    >Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    >Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    >same place and not able to change it?

    At least in the versions that I've used, the window sizes and
    positions for all sessions are stored in file PCSWIN.INI in the same
    folder as the session definitions.

    There is one line for each session, with the session letter on the
    left, and then the size and position information.

    I get one session set the way I like, then exit so that PCSWIN.INI
    gets updated.

    I then copy that line 25 times and change the session letter so that I
    have A through Z defined identically.

    Then I mark the file as read-only. I can still change the size and
    position of a session window, but it doesn't get saved, so that when I
    start that session again it's back to its normal size and position.

    --
    Ken

  4. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Ken,

    I *used* to do it that way, modify the PCSWIN.INI file, but if you go
    into iseries access windows properties and find the PC5250 tab, and
    then check the box to store window position, font, etc in the session
    profile, it ignores those lines in the PCSWIN.INI file.

    Personally I think it's a lot easier to manage PC sesssions this way.
    Then it "remembers" each session's unique settings. For instance, if
    you have two screens and open session one on screen 1 and session 2 on
    screen 2 and session 3 on screen 2, it will ALWAYS remember and open
    them in the correct position, size and with the correct fonts,
    regardless of what order you open them in, and also, you don't have to
    have them all open in the same place/fashion.

    Just a suggestion. Not trying to be a smart-alec at all, but I didn't
    even realize this option existed until a year ago. Maybe it doesn't in
    the version you are using. Like I said, go into iseries access for
    windows, click on the iseries access for windows properties button,
    then on the PC5250 tab...this is at the bottom. Click apply and you
    can forget about it from then on - and it works great. I have users
    with 4 or 5 sessions and NEVER have any problem - it always opens each
    one in the spot they are accustomed to and want it to be.

    Thanks Ken,
    ga

    Ken Sims wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:38:33 +0100, "CENTRINO"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    >>Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    >>same place and not able to change it?

    >At least in the versions that I've used, the window sizes and
    >positions for all sessions are stored in file PCSWIN.INI in the same
    >folder as the session definitions.
    >
    >There is one line for each session, with the session letter on the
    >left, and then the size and position information.
    >
    >I get one session set the way I like, then exit so that PCSWIN.INI
    >gets updated.
    >
    >I then copy that line 25 times and change the session letter so that I
    >have A through Z defined identically.
    >
    >Then I mark the file as read-only. I can still change the size and
    >position of a session window, but it doesn't get saved, so that when I
    >start that session again it's back to its normal size and position.

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  5. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    ken,

    p.s. I definitely like your diea on making the file read-only!!
    Great idea. Could probably do that on the session profile as well if
    he uses the method I recommended - or also, as I said, change it to
    NOT save the session profile on exit.

    You always have VERY GOOD tips. I don't think that IBM added the
    position, size, font parameter in the PC5250 tab on iseries access for
    windows properties until v5r4???

    ga

    Ken Sims wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:38:33 +0100, "CENTRINO"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    >>Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    >>same place and not able to change it?

    >At least in the versions that I've used, the window sizes and
    >positions for all sessions are stored in file PCSWIN.INI in the same
    >folder as the session definitions.
    >
    >There is one line for each session, with the session letter on the
    >left, and then the size and position information.
    >
    >I get one session set the way I like, then exit so that PCSWIN.INI
    >gets updated.
    >
    >I then copy that line 25 times and change the session letter so that I
    >have A through Z defined identically.
    >
    >Then I mark the file as read-only. I can still change the size and
    >position of a session window, but it doesn't get saved, so that when I
    >start that session again it's back to its normal size and position.

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  6. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    One more "beware"

    If you are not on V6R1 iseries access this is not an issue, but if
    you've moved to iseries access, there is a potential gotcha...

    When V6R1 is installed, it automatically makes a copy of many of the
    "private" folder files into the "all users application data". It then
    uses THESE files as your emulation default files. To change it back
    to point to the private folder in c:\program files\ibm\client
    access\emulator\private... you have to go into iseries access for
    windows PROPERTIES and click on that same PC5250 tab, and at the top
    you will see "Path to PC520 emulator files". Since I am accustomed to
    having my emulator files in c:\program\files...\private, I unchecked
    "all users application data" and check "user specified path" and then
    browsed to the c:\program files\ibm\client access\emulator\private
    folder.

    I have NO IDEA why IBM made this change but it is a POTENTIAL gotcha!
    If you have shortcuts on your desktop pointing to the private folder
    in program files\ibm\client access..it will still use those files. I
    just don't know what the logic was of moving these to all users
    application data - especially when they don't move them, they copy
    them, so now you have the same stuff in two places...and you could
    make a change in the private folder in program files and not have the
    same change in the all users application data folder - so hard to say
    which one loads. Kind of like having an RPG program in two libraries
    and the wrong version gets loaded because of how it processes your
    library list.

    I changed mine ot be user specified path, then went into documents and
    settings, all users, application data, and deleted the files it
    created copies of from c:\program files\ibm\client
    access\emulator\private, so I didn't have to worry about the risk of
    the wrong file getting used.

    ga

    ga wrote:

    >ken,
    >
    >p.s. I definitely like your diea on making the file read-only!!
    >Great idea. Could probably do that on the session profile as well if
    >he uses the method I recommended - or also, as I said, change it to
    >NOT save the session profile on exit.
    >
    >You always have VERY GOOD tips. I don't think that IBM added the
    >position, size, font parameter in the PC5250 tab on iseries access for
    >windows properties until v5r4???
    >
    >ga
    >
    >Ken Sims wrote:
    >
    >>Hi -
    >>
    >>On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:38:33 +0100, "CENTRINO"
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any way to fix the emulation windows sice and position for Iseries
    >>>Acces for windows so that when it is opened the user should find it in the
    >>>same place and not able to change it?

    >>At least in the versions that I've used, the window sizes and
    >>positions for all sessions are stored in file PCSWIN.INI in the same
    >>folder as the session definitions.
    >>
    >>There is one line for each session, with the session letter on the
    >>left, and then the size and position information.
    >>
    >>I get one session set the way I like, then exit so that PCSWIN.INI
    >>gets updated.
    >>
    >>I then copy that line 25 times and change the session letter so that I
    >>have A through Z defined identically.
    >>
    >>Then I mark the file as read-only. I can still change the size and
    >>position of a session window, but it doesn't get saved, so that when I
    >>start that session again it's back to its normal size and position.

    >ga
    >nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  7. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    the why it has move to "all users application data" probably has to to
    with Vista, where users are not allowed to write in the "program Files"
    directory ?

    ga wrote in

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  8. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Hi -

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:35:52 -0600, ga wrote:

    >You always have VERY GOOD tips.

    Thanks.

    >I don't think that IBM added the
    >position, size, font parameter in the PC5250 tab on iseries access for
    >windows properties until v5r4???

    I'm running V5R1. Most of my users are still running V4R4. There
    might even still be some people running versions older than that.

    --
    Ken

  9. Re: Fixed emulation window size and position.

    Ken,

    Just curious...even if your OS is at 5/1 or 4/4, why not update your
    clients to the v5r4 or v6r1 version of iseries access? I am thinking
    you can download those but maybe not? Maybe just the Service packs.
    I have a bunch of users using v6r1 on v5r4 OS...

    have a great day!
    ga

    Ken Sims wrote:

    >Hi -
    >
    >On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:35:52 -0600, ga wrote:
    >
    >>You always have VERY GOOD tips.

    >Thanks.
    >
    >>I don't think that IBM added the
    >>position, size, font parameter in the PC5250 tab on iseries access for
    >>windows properties until v5r4???

    >I'm running V5R1. Most of my users are still running V4R4. There
    >might even still be some people running versions older than that.

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

+ Reply to Thread