what is outq? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on what is outq? - IBM AS400 ; I am new user of AS/400 would anybody tel me what is Q ? means outq etc , and what is unit ? what is library ? ple example me by the windows platfrom My mail address : fasolution@gmail.com thanks...

  1. what is outq?

    I am new user of AS/400 would anybody tel me what is

    Q ? means outq etc ,

    and what is unit ?

    what is library ?

    ple example me by the windows platfrom

    My mail address : fasolution@gmail.com

    thanks

  2. Re: what is outq?

    Amit wrote:
    > I am new user of AS/400 would anybody tel me what is
    >
    > Q ? means outq etc ,
    >
    > and what is unit ?
    >
    > what is library ?
    >
    > ple example me by the windows platfrom
    >
    > My mail address : fasolution@gmail.com

    (Typically answers on usenet are posted back to a thread, vs emailed.)

    The System i OS (also called i5/OS or OS/400) is much different than
    Windows and most other operating systems. In the InfoCenter, many
    concepts are explained. Here are some links to get started:

    External object types:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...bjecttypes.htm

    i5/OS Objects:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...Node=int_97837

    i5/OS Concepts:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...Node=int_95582

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: what is outq?

    Amit wrote:
    > I am new user of AS/400 would anybody tel me what is
    >
    > Q ? means outq etc ,
    >
    > and what is unit ?
    >
    > what is library ?
    >
    > ple example me by the windows platfrom
    >
    > My mail address : fasolution@gmail.com
    >
    > thanks

    In Windows when you click a printer to see what files are waiting to
    print that is similar to and OUTQ (Output Queue). On an AS/400 each
    printer has an outq by the same name. The AS/400 can also have more
    outqs than printers.

    Unit? could be lots of things

    Library = Windows Folder

  4. Re: what is outq?

    Amit wrote:
    > I am new user of AS/400 would anybody tel me what is
    >
    > Q ? means outq etc ,

    An outq on an AS/400 is pretty much the same as an outq on Windows.
    However, they're more accessible on AS/400s. The Windows spooling
    subsystem collects lines being sent to a printer device until the
    program finishes writing the report, and the report is sent to a printer
    from the Windows outq. Most often, this action can be followed through
    the icon that appears in the Windows system tray.

    If you go into your Windows printer folder and pause the default
    printer, and then print this item, you should see the printer icon in
    the system tray. Double-clicking that icon should show this item spooled
    in the Windows outq for the printer. You can cancel the printed file
    from the outq or release the printer and let it print.

    > and what is unit ?

    That's hard to say. What kind of unit? Central Processing Unit? Local
    Unit of Work? Something else?

    > what is library ?

    A library is an object that can be thought of like a directory.
    Programs, files and other objects all exist inside of libraries.
    Different from directories, libraries can only be a single level deep.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  5. Re: what is outq?

    I'm a new user too.
    I've worked at a remote location I have a problem with printing direct to a local printer.
    Is there any one know how to copy a qprint file or any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread