Client Access Printer Sessions - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Client Access Printer Sessions - IBM AS400 ; I can't figure out why the exact same report is printing differently on two similar Client Access systems. The program takes a printer name as the parameter and when submitted to the two systems, one prints right to the edge ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Client Access Printer Sessions

  1. Client Access Printer Sessions

    I can't figure out why the exact same report is printing differently on
    two similar Client Access systems. The program takes a printer name as
    the parameter and when submitted to the two systems, one prints right to
    the edge of the paper landscaped and the other prints shrunken to about
    3/4 the page width landscaped. The systems are both Windows 2000 Service
    Pack 4 with the exact same Client Access version and service pack. The
    printers are identical with identical drivers installed. The Client
    Access printer session configurations are identical in every respect.
    The DEVD for the AS/400 printer files are exactly the same except for the
    device name. The outq descriptions are the same. The #LIBRARY printer
    file descriptions are the same for the System/36 Environment. Does
    anyone know what else it could possibly be that is causing them to print
    differently?

    Jeremy Olmstead

  2. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    On Oct 30, 6:10*am, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > I can't figure out why the exact same report is printing differently on
    > two similar Client Access systems. *The program takes a printer name as
    > the parameter and when submitted to the two systems, one prints right to
    > the edge of the paper landscaped and the other prints shrunken to about
    > 3/4 the page width landscaped. *The systems are both Windows 2000 Service
    > Pack 4 with the exact same Client Access version and service pack. *The
    > printers are identical with identical drivers installed. *The Client
    > Access printer session configurations are identical in every respect. *
    > The DEVD for the AS/400 printer files are exactly the same except for the
    > device name. *The outq descriptions are the same. *The #LIBRARY printer
    > file descriptions are the same for the System/36 Environment. *Does
    > anyone know what else it could possibly be that is causing them to print
    > differently?
    >
    > Jeremy Olmstead


    Maybe check the printer files on both machines, are you sure there
    running the same code to produce the same results, maybe one has a
    ovrprtf in a cl program.

  3. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    iseriesflorida wrote in
    news:4a414774-e5e2-4bc4-94db-f4c331aebf6c@e2g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

    > On Oct 30, 6:10*am, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    >> I can't figure out why the exact same report is printing differently
    >> on two similar Client Access systems. *The program takes a printer
    >> name as the parameter and when submitted to the two systems, one
    >> prints right to the edge of the paper landscaped and the other prints
    >> shrunken to about 3/4 the page width landscaped. *The systems are
    >> both Windows 2000 Service
    >> Pack 4 with the exact same Client Access version and service pack.
    >> *The printers are identical with identical drivers installed. *The
    >> Client Access printer session configurations are identical in every
    >> respect. * The DEVD for the AS/400 printer files are exactly the same
    >> except for the device name. *The outq descriptions are the same. *The
    >> #LIBRARY printer
    >> file descriptions are the same for the System/36 Environment. *Does
    >> anyone know what else it could possibly be that is causing them to
    >> print differently?
    >>
    >> Jeremy Olmstead

    >
    > Maybe check the printer files on both machines, are you sure there
    > running the same code to produce the same results, maybe one has a
    > ovrprtf in a cl program.


    Maybe I didn't make this clear, but this is from only 1 AS/400, but 2
    workstations. I am 100% sure the program is the same. I execute the
    following in the same session and get different results:

    call pgm(shpcon) parm(12345 s1)
    // s1 is the AS/400 virtual printer name attached to one workstation
    call pgm(shpcon) parm(12345 u1)
    // u1 is the AS/400 virtual printer name attached to the other station

    The printer file used by s1 is exactly the same as the file used by u1.

    The program code is below:

    PGM PARM(&ORDPRM &PRT)
    DCL VAR(&ORDPRM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(5)
    DCL VAR(&ORDNUM) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(5)
    DCL VAR(&PRT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
    CHGVAR VAR(&ORDNUM) VALUE(&ORDPRM)
    OVRPRTF FILE(SHPCONPF) PAGRTT(90) OUTQ(&PRT)
    OVRDBF FILE(WFE005) TOFILE(QS36F/WFE005)
    CALLPRC PRC(SHPCON) PARM(&ORDNUM)
    DLTOVR FILE(SHPCONPF)
    DLTOVR FILE(WFE005)
    ENDPGM

    Any ideas of what else could be causing the difference in print?

    Jeremy

  4. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    On Oct 30, 2:13*pm, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > iseriesflorida wrote innews:4a414774-e5e2-4bc4-94db-f4c331aebf6c@e2g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Oct 30, 6:10*am, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > >> I can't figure out why the exact same report is printing differently
    > >> on two similar Client Access systems. *The program takes a printer
    > >> name as the parameter and when submitted to the two systems, one
    > >> prints right to the edge of the paper landscaped and the other prints
    > >> shrunken to about 3/4 the page width landscaped. *The systems are
    > >> both Windows 2000 Service
    > >> Pack 4 with the exact same Client Access version and service pack.
    > >> *The printers are identical with identical drivers installed. *The
    > >> Client Access printer session configurations are identical in every
    > >> respect. * The DEVD for the AS/400 printer files are exactly the same
    > >> except for the device name. *The outq descriptions are the same. *The
    > >> #LIBRARY printer
    > >> file descriptions are the same for the System/36 Environment. *Does
    > >> anyone know what else it could possibly be that is causing them to
    > >> print differently?

    >
    > >> Jeremy Olmstead

    >
    > > Maybe check the printer files on both machines, are you sure there
    > > running the same code to produce the same results, maybe one has a
    > > ovrprtf in a cl program.

    >
    > Maybe I didn't make this clear, but this is from only 1 AS/400, but 2
    > workstations. *I am 100% sure the program is the same. *I execute the
    > following in the same session and get different results:
    >
    > call pgm(shpcon) parm(12345 s1)
    > // s1 is the AS/400 virtual printer name attached to one workstation
    > call pgm(shpcon) parm(12345 u1)
    > // u1 is the AS/400 virtual printer name attached to the other station
    >
    > The printer file used by s1 is exactly the same as the file used by u1.
    >
    > The program code is below:
    >
    > PGM * * * *PARM(&ORDPRM &PRT) * * * * * * * * **
    > DCL * * * *VAR(&ORDPRM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(5) * * *
    > DCL * * * *VAR(&ORDNUM) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(5) * * * *
    > DCL * * * *VAR(&PRT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2) * * * * *
    > CHGVAR * * VAR(&ORDNUM) VALUE(&ORDPRM) * * * * *
    > OVRPRTF * *FILE(SHPCONPF) PAGRTT(90) OUTQ(&PRT) *
    > OVRDBF * * FILE(WFE005) TOFILE(QS36F/WFE005) * *
    > CALLPRC * *PRC(SHPCON) PARM(&ORDNUM) * * * * * *
    > DLTOVR * * FILE(SHPCONPF) * * * * * * * * * * **
    > DLTOVR * * FILE(WFE005) * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    > ENDPGM
    >
    > Any ideas of what else could be causing the difference in print?
    >
    > Jeremy- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Pull up a word document with both systems and look at the default
    printer setups and compare them sounds to me like the print areas
    might be different.

  5. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    iseriesflorida wrote in
    news:dd0d4306-30ab-4042-b055-6170d13fa860@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    >
    > Pull up a word document with both systems and look at the default
    > printer setups and compare them sounds to me like the print areas
    > might be different.
    >


    Thanks for another response. I tried what you said and there were
    differences which really got my hopes up, since the difference was actually
    the font (one said Courier and the other said Courier New). So I really
    thought this process would work:

    1. Shut down the session from U1
    2. Copy the S1.ws file from the other computer
    3. Rename U1.ws to U1.old and S1.ws to U1.ws
    4. Edit U1.ws to reference U1 instead of S1 on the WorkStationID line
    5. Save U1.ws
    6. Startup U1 session again and try

    This made the files identical (save for the device name), but it still
    didn't work! I got the exact same results. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

  6. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    On Oct 30, 8:25*pm, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > iseriesflorida wrote innews:dd0d4306-30ab-4042-b055-6170d13fa860@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Pull up a word document with both systems and look at the default
    > > printer setups and compare them sounds to me like the print areas
    > > might be different.

    >
    > Thanks for another response. *I tried what you said and there were
    > differences which really got my hopes up, since the difference was actually
    > the font (one said Courier and the other said Courier New). *So I really
    > thought this process would work:
    >
    > 1. Shut down the session from U1
    > 2. Copy the S1.ws file from the other computer
    > 3. Rename U1.ws to U1.old and S1.ws to U1.ws
    > 4. Edit U1.ws to reference U1 instead of S1 on the WorkStationID line
    > 5. Save U1.ws
    > 6. Startup U1 session again and try
    >
    > This made the files identical (save for the device name), but it still
    > didn't work! *I got the exact same results. *Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeremy


    Are these things printing on the same physical printer? If not maybe
    there is a difference in the printer settings? or firmware level? I
    take it the windows printer settings are identical? & you have the
    same driver ddls installed in both pcs? You can set your printer
    output to be a file. Print off one on each & use a binary/hex editor
    to find differences. That is unlikely to tell you anything useful
    unless you really want to know about the internal workings of you r
    printer but it might hint at something.
    Most likely re-installation of windows, driver & CA.
    Jonathan.

  7. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions



    Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 8:25�pm, Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > > iseriesflorida wrote innews:dd0d4306-30ab-4042-b055-6170d13fa860@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > > Pull up a word document with both systems and look at the default
    > > > printer setups and compare them sounds to me like the print areas
    > > > might be different.

    > >
    > > Thanks for another response. �I tried what you said and there were
    > > differences which really got my hopes up, since the difference was actually
    > > the font (one said Courier and the other said Courier New). �SoI really
    > > thought this process would work:
    > >
    > > 1. Shut down the session from U1
    > > 2. Copy the S1.ws file from the other computer
    > > 3. Rename U1.ws to U1.old and S1.ws to U1.ws
    > > 4. Edit U1.ws to reference U1 instead of S1 on the WorkStationID line
    > > 5. Save U1.ws
    > > 6. Startup U1 session again and try
    > >
    > > This made the files identical (save for the device name), but it still
    > > didn't work! �I got the exact same results. �Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jeremy

    >
    > Are these things printing on the same physical printer? If not maybe
    > there is a difference in the printer settings? or firmware level? I
    > take it the windows printer settings are identical? & you have the
    > same driver ddls installed in both pcs? You can set your printer
    > output to be a file. Print off one on each & use a binary/hex editor
    > to find differences. That is unlikely to tell you anything useful
    > unless you really want to know about the internal workings of you r
    > printer but it might hint at something.
    > Most likely re-installation of windows, driver & CA.
    > Jonathan.

    Is there any way at all that you can hook up the printer that
    (supposedly works correct) to the computer where it does not, would be
    interesting to see the results. If you swap it for the test and it
    does not print correctly this might help you troubleshoot it further.
    Who knows it could be something in the windows registry or you might
    try like Jonathan suggests of a re-install of software. You might
    also want to delete the printer device description on the 400 and copy
    the one that works and then renam it to what you need as well.

  8. Re: Client Access Printer Sessions

    Jeremy Olmstead wrote:
    > iseriesflorida wrote in
    > news:dd0d4306-30ab-4042-b055-6170d13fa860@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Pull up a word document with both systems and look at the default
    >> printer setups and compare them sounds to me like the print areas
    >> might be different.
    >>

    > 1. Shut down the session from U1
    > 2. Copy the S1.ws file from the other computer
    > 3. Rename U1.ws to U1.old and S1.ws to U1.ws
    > 4. Edit U1.ws to reference U1 instead of S1 on the WorkStationID line
    > 5. Save U1.ws
    > 6. Startup U1 session again and try
    >
    > This made the files identical (save for the device name), but it still
    > didn't work! I got the exact same results. Any other suggestions?


    Yes, but did you check the _Windows_ default printer definitions? You've
    taken steps to synch up the Client Access definitions, but are they
    going through Windows the same way?

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

+ Reply to Thread