Happy 30th Birthday! - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Happy 30th Birthday! - IBM AS400 ; October 24th 1978: the official announcement of the IBM System/38 (previously codenamed 'Pacific'), the direct ancestor of the AS/400, and the only part of the Future System project to make it into production, takes place in Rochester. Price of standard ...

  1. Happy 30th Birthday!

    October 24th 1978: the official announcement of the IBM System/38 (previously
    codenamed 'Pacific'), the direct ancestor of the AS/400, and the only part of
    the Future System project to make it into production, takes place in Rochester.
    Price of standard system: $91,780.

    "To the approximately 1,500 Rochester IBMers in the cafeteria, auditorium,
    and room 1100, the unveiling of the IBM System/38 on October 24 marked
    the end of almost eight years of effort. Described as GSD's flagship for the
    80s, the "System/38 is the largest program we've ever introduced in GSD,"
    said C. B. Rogers, Jr., IBM vice president and president, GSD, ''and it is one
    of the top three or four largest programs ever introduced in IBM."

    Today....

    http://www.corestore.org/38.htm

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAWArBXRhE

    Cheers!

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  2. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    Mike Ross wrote:

    >October 24th 1978: the official announcement of the IBM System/38 (previously
    >codenamed 'Pacific'), the direct ancestor of the AS/400, and the only part of
    >the Future System project to make it into production, takes place in Rochester.
    >Price of standard system: $91,780.

    Haven't done a lot of work on the S/34, S/36, S/38 and AS/400 in the very late 70s
    and throughout the '80s I was always curious about the history of the FS project. We
    heard that code word but that was bout it.

    >http://www.corestore.org/38.htm
    >
    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAWArBXRhE

    Thanks for the memories.

    BTW anyone looking for a IBM 729 Mark 5 tape drive? See
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archi...ape-drive.aspx
    for details.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

  3. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

    >Haven't done a lot of work

    Arrgghhh. Having done a lot of work ....

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

  4. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    "Tony Toews [MVP]" writes:
    > Haven't done a lot of work on the S/34, S/36, S/38 and AS/400 in the very late 70s
    > and throughout the '80s I was always curious about the history of the FS project. We
    > heard that code word but that was bout it.

    recent post in "Greater IBM" blog in thread about as/400 20th b'day
    http://www.garlic.com/2008k.html#59 Happy 20th Birthday, AS/400

    recent post in "Greater IBM" blog mentioning Future System
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#66 Open Source, Unbundling, and Future System

    slightly tangential post on subject of security for FS documents
    (in a linkedin blog):
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#67 Invitation to Join Mainframe Security Guru Group

    --
    40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar70

  5. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    "Anne & Lynn Wheeler" wrote in message

    > "Tony Toews [MVP]" writes:
    >> Haven't done a lot of work on the S/34, S/36, S/38 and AS/400 in
    >> the very late 70s
    >> and throughout the '80s I was always curious about the history of
    >> the FS project. We
    >> heard that code word but that was bout it.

    > recent post in "Greater IBM" blog in thread about as/400 20th b'day
    > http://www.garlic.com/2008k.html#59 Happy 20th Birthday, AS/400

    dood, bad link.

    > recent post in "Greater IBM" blog mentioning Future System
    > http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#66 Open Source, Unbundling,
    > and Future System
    >
    > slightly tangential post on subject of security for FS documents
    > (in a linkedin blog):
    > http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#67 Invitation to Join
    > Mainframe Security Guru Group
    >
    > --
    > 40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since
    > Mar70

  6. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    >http://www.garlic.com/2008k.html#59 Happy 20th Birthday, AS/400

    oops, finger slip

    should have had "~lynn" like the rest:
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#59 Happy 20th Birthday, AS/400

    --
    40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar70

  7. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    > October 24th 1978: the official announcement of the IBM System/38
    > (previously codenamed 'Pacific'), the direct ancestor of the AS/400

    Wasn't the System 38 a cover story to IEEE Spectrum
    or Communications of the ACM
    for the 2-way microcoded instruction set?
    (the opcode and the operands' data type selected the microcode).
    That sounded really neat.

    And was that the system where the address space was so large
    that all the disks were mapped the same as RAM?

    I tried to get a copy of "Principles of Operation"
    from the NY IBM office but they blew me off despite being a consultant
    trying to justify a system 38 or 36 instead of the 34 being recommended.

  8. Re: Happy 30th Birthday!

    Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
    > Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >> October 24th 1978: the official announcement of the IBM System/38 (previously
    >> codenamed 'Pacific'), the direct ancestor of the AS/400, and the only part of
    >> the Future System project to make it into production, takes place in Rochester.
    >> Price of standard system: $91,780.

    > Haven't done a lot of work on the S/34, S/36, S/38 and AS/400 in the very late 70s
    > and throughout the '80s I was always curious about the history of the FS project. We
    > heard that code word but that was bout it.

    So does that mean that the RPG language dates from 1978 also???
    Believe it or *not*, some folks actually used RPG for *payroll*
    applications and such. Shocking!!!