screen time-out? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on screen time-out? - IBM AS400 ; I have a screen program that seems to "time-out". If the user walks away from the screen say for 15 minutes, and then come back, the screen will come back, but with "blank data". It's RPG III code, it does ...

  1. screen time-out?

    I have a screen program that seems to "time-out". If the user walks
    away from the screen say for 15 minutes, and then come back, the
    screen will come back, but with "blank data". It's RPG III code, it
    does an "EXCPTS4" (display Screen 4) then it does a READ of the
    format, READ IM1601FM with an error indicator in the EQ column.

    If the user presses any key after some interval (at least 15 minutes I
    think), then the screen refreshes blank. but if the user presses a
    key within 5 or 10 minutes, it refreshes like it should with the data
    shown.

    Is there some setting somewhere I am missing? I've not experienced
    this behavior before with an interactive program. It's like it
    decided to TIME OUT on the Display file...

    Thanks for any suggestions, ga
    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: screen time-out?

    On Oct 23, 8:07*pm, ga wrote:
    > I have a screen program that seems to "time-out". *If the user walks
    > away from the screen say for 15 minutes, and then come back, the
    > screen will come back, but with "blank data". *It's RPG III code, it
    > does an "EXCPTS4" (display Screen 4) then it does a READ of the
    > format, READ IM1601FM * *with an error indicator in the EQ column. *
    >
    > If the user presses any key after some interval (at least 15 minutes I
    > think), then the screen refreshes blank. *but if the user presses a
    > key within 5 or 10 minutes, it refreshes like it should with the data
    > shown. *
    >
    > Is there some setting somewhere I am missing? *I've not experienced
    > this behavior before with an interactive program. *It's like it
    > decided to TIME OUT on the Display file...
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, ga
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    Yes you can timeout the display file but not from an excpt. It could
    be the following read gets the timeout. The waitrcd param for crt/chg
    dspf is the one to look for.. You can see its current value via dspfd.
    We have a few programs which use this to allow auto refreshing
    displays. There are a few limitations such as reading the file not a
    record & something about multi terminal processing or similar which I
    dont use.

    HTH
    Jonathan.

  3. Re: screen time-out?

    Jonathan,

    I had the same thought and had already checked that, which I should
    have put in my original message. I must have something in the program
    that is causing it, but I can't think why a difference of 10 or 15
    minutes would have it do something different in the code...it's very
    odd.

    thanks for your suggestion!
    ga

    Jonathan Bailey wrote:

    >On Oct 23, 8:07*pm, ga wrote:
    >> I have a screen program that seems to "time-out". *If the user walks
    >> away from the screen say for 15 minutes, and then come back, the
    >> screen will come back, but with "blank data". *It's RPG III code, it
    >> does an "EXCPTS4" (display Screen 4) then it does a READ of the
    >> format, READ IM1601FM * *with an error indicator in the EQ column. *
    >>
    >> If the user presses any key after some interval (at least 15 minutes I
    >> think), then the screen refreshes blank. *but if the user presses a
    >> key within 5 or 10 minutes, it refreshes like it should with the data
    >> shown. *
    >>
    >> Is there some setting somewhere I am missing? *I've not experienced
    >> this behavior before with an interactive program. *It's like it
    >> decided to TIME OUT on the Display file...
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions, ga
    >> ga
    >> nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    >Yes you can timeout the display file but not from an excpt. It could
    >be the following read gets the timeout. The waitrcd param for crt/chg
    >dspf is the one to look for.. You can see its current value via dspfd.
    >We have a few programs which use this to allow auto refreshing
    >displays. There are a few limitations such as reading the file not a
    >record & something about multi terminal processing or similar which I
    >dont use.
    >
    >HTH
    >Jonathan.

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  4. Re: screen time-out?

    Here's another little thing that happened this morning.

    The program does not behave in this fashion when run from a dumb-tube;
    it only seems to occur on a PC using iseries access...is there
    something in iseries access I have to change?

    thanks,
    ga

    ga wrote:

    >Jonathan,
    >
    >I had the same thought and had already checked that, which I should
    >have put in my original message. I must have something in the program
    >that is causing it, but I can't think why a difference of 10 or 15
    >minutes would have it do something different in the code...it's very
    >odd.
    >
    >thanks for your suggestion!
    >ga
    >
    >Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    >
    >>On Oct 23, 8:07*pm, ga wrote:
    >>> I have a screen program that seems to "time-out". *If the user walks
    >>> away from the screen say for 15 minutes, and then come back, the
    >>> screen will come back, but with "blank data". *It's RPG III code, it
    >>> does an "EXCPTS4" (display Screen 4) then it does a READ of the
    >>> format, READ IM1601FM * *with an error indicator in the EQ column. *
    >>>
    >>> If the user presses any key after some interval (at least 15 minutes I
    >>> think), then the screen refreshes blank. *but if the user presses a
    >>> key within 5 or 10 minutes, it refreshes like it should with the data
    >>> shown. *
    >>>
    >>> Is there some setting somewhere I am missing? *I've not experienced
    >>> this behavior before with an interactive program. *It's like it
    >>> decided to TIME OUT on the Display file...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any suggestions, ga
    >>> ga
    >>> nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    >>Yes you can timeout the display file but not from an excpt. It could
    >>be the following read gets the timeout. The waitrcd param for crt/chg
    >>dspf is the one to look for.. You can see its current value via dspfd.
    >>We have a few programs which use this to allow auto refreshing
    >>displays. There are a few limitations such as reading the file not a
    >>record & something about multi terminal processing or similar which I
    >>dont use.
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>Jonathan.

    >ga
    >nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  5. Re: screen time-out?

    On Oct 24, 4:13*pm, ga wrote:
    > Here's another little thing that happened this morning.
    >
    > The program does not behave in this fashion when run from a dumb-tube;
    > it only seems to occur on a PC using iseries access...is there
    > something in iseries access I have to change?
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >

    > ga wrote:
    > >Jonathan,

    > >I had the same thought and had already checked that, which I should
    > >have put in my original message. *I must have something in the program
    > >that is causing it, but I can't think why a difference of 10 or 15
    > >minutes would have it do something different in the code...it's very
    > >odd.

    > >thanks for your suggestion!
    > >ga

    > >Jonathan Bailey wrote:

    > >>Yes you can timeout the display file but not from an excpt. It could
    > >>be the following read gets the timeout. The waitrcd param for crt/chg
    > >>dspf is the one to look for.. You can see its current value via dspfd.
    > >>We have a few programs which use this to allow auto refreshing
    > >>displays. There are a few limitations such as reading the file not a
    > >>record & something about multi terminal processing or similar which I
    > >>dont use.

    > >>HTH
    > >>Jonathan.

    > >ga
    > >nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com- Hide quoted text -

    Cant think of anything else- unless the program is donin an ovrdspf
    waitrcd() somewhere before opening the display.
    We have a 'problem' which causes any screen to simply freeze &
    disconnect after about 2 hours of inactivity. Its something to do with
    the tcp/ip settings o the customer's 400 & our firewall to the
    customer. This affects CA & netsoft emulators & most likely plain
    windows telnet but dont recall & I'm not going to bother testing it
    either..

    Good look in your search for the answer.

    Jonathan.

  6. Re: screen time-out?

    It is the pc going to sleep, and not holding up your connection. Check
    the power values for the user, making sure that you don't let it go
    into sleep mode. I have mine all set with always on. Second, if that
    doesn't help, check it at the bios level and turn off features to go
    into hibernation. I had that with some IBM pc's. When this sort of
    thing you describe happens to me, it is usually going into
    hibernation, etc.

    chris

    On Oct 24, 12:13*pm, ga wrote:
    > Here's another little thing that happened this morning.
    >
    > The program does not behave in this fashion when run from a dumb-tube;
    > it only seems to occur on a PC using iseries access...is there
    > something in iseries access I have to change?
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >

    > ga wrote:
    > >Jonathan,

    > >I had the same thought and had already checked that, which I should
    > >have put in my original message. *I must have something in the program
    > >that is causing it, but I can't think why a difference of 10 or 15
    > >minutes would have it do something different in the code...it's very
    > >odd.

    > >thanks for your suggestion!
    > >ga

    > >Jonathan Bailey wrote:

    > >>Yes you can timeout the display file but not from an excpt. It could
    > >>be the following read gets the timeout. The waitrcd param for crt/chg
    > >>dspf is the one to look for.. You can see its current value via dspfd.
    > >>We have a few programs which use this to allow auto refreshing
    > >>displays. There are a few limitations such as reading the file not a
    > >>record & something about multi terminal processing or similar which I
    > >>dont use.

    > >>HTH
    > >>Jonathan.

    > >ga
    > >nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com- Hide quoted text -

  7. Re: screen time-out?

    "trans am kid" schreef in bericht
    It is the pc going to sleep, and not holding up your connection. Check
    the power values for the user, making sure that you don't let it go
    into sleep mode. I have mine all set with always on. Second, if that
    doesn't help, check it at the bios level and turn off features to go
    into hibernation. I had that with some IBM pc's. When this sort of
    thing you describe happens to me, it is usually going into
    hibernation, etc.

    chris

    You can also check the modem. Some of them disconnect after a period of
    time.

    Ace