Time zone objects and time change - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Time zone objects and time change - IBM AS400 ; Looking at time zone object QN0800U on our V5R3 system, it says that daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October. However, I think it actually ends on the first Sunday in November this year. Is there a ...

  1. Time zone objects and time change

    Looking at time zone object QN0800U on our V5R3 system, it says that
    daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October. However, I
    think it actually ends on the first Sunday in November this year.

    Is there a way to refresh the time zone objects so they show correct
    stop and start dates for DST?

  2. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Looking at time zone object QN0800U on our V5R3 system, it says that
    > daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October. However, I
    > think it actually ends on the first Sunday in November this year.
    >
    > Is there a way to refresh the time zone objects so they show correct
    > stop and start dates for DST?

    Perhaps some of the info here would help? :
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/soft...ation/dst.html

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Karl Hanson wrote:
    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> Looking at time zone object QN0800U on our V5R3 system, it says that
    >> daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October. However, I
    >> think it actually ends on the first Sunday in November this year.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to refresh the time zone objects so they show correct
    >> stop and start dates for DST?

    > Perhaps some of the info here would help? :
    > http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/soft...ation/dst.html

    We have the PTFs identified in that link applied to our system, but the
    start and end dates of the time zone objects are wrong. I was wondering
    if there's some way to refresh them from an IBM site.

  4. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    il 15/10/2008 21.26, Scrive Jonathan Ball 43711712:
    > Looking at time zone object QN0800U on our V5R3 system, it says that
    > daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October. However, I
    > think it actually ends on the first Sunday in November this year.
    >
    > Is there a way to refresh the time zone objects so they show correct
    > stop and start dates for DST?

    With wrktimzon command you'll be able to select the right one ore change
    one of choice and select as system-value.

  5. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    I suspect you want time zone QN0800PST3

  6. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Graybeard wrote:
    > I suspect you want time zone QN0800PST3

    That and QN0800U seem to be nearly identical except for the message IDs
    they specify to obtain the names for standard and daylight time.

    What I really want is some way to all new *TIMZON objects that already
    contain the right specification of when daylight saving time begins and
    ends. Our system was installed in the summer of 2004, before the latest
    revision to the law that changed the DST start and stop dates. It's
    easy enough to change the time zone object that we're using, but it
    seems to me that there ought to be some way to get up-to-date objects
    from some IBM site.

  7. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Graybeard wrote:
    > I suspect you want time zone QN0800PST3

    That and QN0800U seem to be nearly identical except for the message IDs
    they specify to obtain the names for standard and daylight time.

    What I really want is some way to all new *TIMZON objects that already
    contain the right specification of when daylight saving time begins and
    ends. Our system was installed in the summer of 2004, before the latest
    revision to the law that changed the DST start and stop dates. It's
    easy enough to change the time zone object that we're using, but it
    seems to me that there ought to be some way to get up-to-date objects
    from some IBM site.

  8. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    il 16/10/2008 21.43, Scrive Graybeard 43711712:
    > I suspect you want time zone QN0800PST3

    Not me!
    :-))

  9. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Jonathan,
    The problem with changing values on timezones is that not everybody
    has changed the start/end dates. AFAIK, this only applies to US and
    Canada. In any case your timezone is probably used in many other
    places in the world. That is why IBM choose to provide a new
    "timezone" code for that places that changed. MS, for example, just
    edited the timezone object, and it caused me all kinds of issues
    because it "changed" all prior years. This gave the effect of the
    objects being an hour (older/newer) that they actually were if they
    were created in a prior year during the added weeks. Where are you
    located? West coast USA?

  10. Re: Time zone objects and time change

    Graybeard wrote:
    > Jonathan,
    > The problem with changing values on timezones is that not everybody
    > has changed the start/end dates.

    The time zone objects are geographically specific. For example,
    QN0400CLT is Chile Time; QP0800WITA is Waktu Indonesia Tengah time (I
    wonder what the installed base of iSeries is there?)

    QN0800PST2, which I have found does already contain the start/end dates
    based on the 2005 and 2007 U.S. energy laws, is presumably only for the
    Pacific coast states of the U.S. For any west coast state, the
    start/end dates /have/ changed since 2004.

    > AFAIK, this only applies to US and
    > Canada. In any case your timezone is probably used in many other
    > places in the world.

    No, I suspect it isn't.

    > That is why IBM choose to provide a new
    > "timezone" code for that places that changed. MS, for example, just
    > edited the timezone object, and it caused me all kinds of issues
    > because it "changed" all prior years. This gave the effect of the
    > objects being an hour (older/newer) that they actually were if they
    > were created in a prior year during the added weeks. Where are you
    > located? West coast USA?

+ Reply to Thread