fast way to copy files from system A to B?? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on fast way to copy files from system A to B?? - IBM AS400 ; Hello We have one I-serie type 520 This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production 2= Testing 3= Development Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to another. The question is: is this faster than ...

  1. fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Hello

    We have one I-serie type 520
    This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production 2= Testing 3=
    Development

    Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    another.
    The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?

    And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?

    Or are there other ways to do it better?

    Thanks for help

    Jaap

  2. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Why would you care about speed?

    Since you're running a 520, and with the partitions set as you
    described, surely you hardly ever need to move Gbs of data, and you
    never need to be rushing from one environment to the other?

  3. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    On Oct 15, 7:20*am, Hammie wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > We have one I-serie type 520
    > This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production *2= Testing *3=
    > Development
    >
    > Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    > another.
    > The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    > using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?
    >
    > And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?
    >
    > Or are there other ways to do it better?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >
    > Jaap

    I was told (quite some time ago) that using ip between partitions was
    much better then APPN. However I have not yet got round to changing
    the transmissions as the commands to use APPN eg sndnetf allow you to
    rcvmsg to get a positive result & serialise the file delivery. I
    havent yet written FTP equivalents. Also they get queued at the other
    end which would take more effort to write the above to be quite as
    similar as APPN.
    If transmission time is really high you could try saving to the ifs
    then using jar to compress the file - but I think this would be a
    losing situation unless you need to transmit the data more than once.

    I wonder since the machine is all in one lump if you could designate
    some disks as a separate asp, save to a lib in that asp, then detach
    the disks from one partition & re-attach to another? I have almost no
    experience of as400 hardware beyond 5250 terminals so this may easily
    be a non starter.

    Jonathan.

  4. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    On Oct 15, 5:16*am, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 7:20*am, Hammie wrote:
    >

    > > Hello

    > > We have one I-serie type 520
    > > This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production *2= Testing *3=
    > > Development

    > > Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    > > another.
    > > The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    > > using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?

    > > And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?

    > > Or are there other ways to do it better?

    > > Thanks for help

    > > Jaap

    > I was told (quite some time ago) that using ip between partitions was
    > much better then APPN. However I have not yet got round to changing
    > the transmissions as the commands to use APPN eg sndnetf allow you to
    > rcvmsg to get a positive result & serialise the file delivery. I
    > havent yet written FTP equivalents. Also they get queued at the other
    > end which would take more effort to write the above to be quite as
    > similar as APPN.
    > If transmission time is really high you could try saving to the ifs
    > then using jar to compress the file - but I think this would be a
    > losing situation unless you need to transmit the data more than once.
    >
    > I wonder since the machine is all in one lump if you could designate
    > some disks as a separate asp, save to a lib in that asp, then detach
    > the disks from one partition & re-attach to another? I have almost no
    > experience of as400 hardware beyond 5250 terminals so this may easily
    > be a non starter.
    >
    > Jonathan.- Hide quoted text -

    have you looked at DDM over IP.

  5. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Hammie wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > We have one I-serie type 520
    > This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production 2= Testing 3=
    > Development
    >
    > Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    > another.
    > The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    > using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?
    >
    > And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?
    >
    > Or are there other ways to do it better?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >
    > Jaap

    We have a 2 lpar machine. we use the SAVRST* commands. It beats the
    pants off SNADS, FTP etc. Plus you get all the SAV* and RST* messages
    and fault diagnosis capability of native software.

    I send 30gb+ between LPARs when I want to refresh my development
    databases. It takes a couple of hours (including the time to clear the
    target libraries of many thousands of objects).

    I also send save files of the important development libraries nightly to
    the production LPAR to be written to tape. Takes 10-15 minutes
    (including the saves to SAVF) for 5gb.

    HTH

    GB

  6. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Hammie wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > We have one I-serie type 520
    > This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production 2= Testing 3=
    > Development
    >
    > Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    > another.
    > The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    > using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?
    >
    > And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?
    >
    > Or are there other ways to do it better?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    >
    > Jaap

    To add to the others...
    Are you using the virtual Ethernet ports to connect between partitions?
    What are the Max Frame Size on the line desc?
    Are you running GB and Full Duplex the the current connection?

  7. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Well that sounds good.
    Can you give me a rough description how to setup such an APPN
    connection?

    Thanks
    Jaap

  8. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Sorry but I don't know how to find this information.
    Virtual Ethernet ports sounds good, but I don't know what it is.
    Is that something you only have to configure or had you install some
    hardware for that too?

    May be you can help me a little bit further

    Thanks
    Jaap

  9. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    On Oct 15, 7:24*pm, iseriesflorida wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 5:16*am, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 15, 7:20*am, Hammie wrote:

    > > > Hello

    > > > We have one I-serie type 520
    > > > This is partitioned in three I-series 1.= Production *2= Testing *3=
    > > > Development

    > > > Now we use FTP to copy objects and library's from one system to
    > > > another.
    > > > The question is: is this faster than using an APPN connection and
    > > > using the command: SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB?

    > > > And when it is faster: How to setup this connection?

    > > > Or are there other ways to do it better?

    > > > Thanks for help

    > > > Jaap

    > > I was told (quite some time ago) that using ip between partitions was
    > > much better then APPN. However I have not yet got round to changing
    > > the transmissions as the commands to use APPN eg sndnetf allow you to
    > > rcvmsg to get a positive result & serialise the file delivery. I
    > > havent yet written FTP equivalents. Also they get queued at the other
    > > end which would take more effort to write the above to be quite as
    > > similar as APPN.
    > > If transmission time is really high you could try saving to the ifs
    > > then using jar to compress the file - but I think this would be a
    > > losing situation unless you need to transmit the data more than once.

    > > I wonder since the machine is all in one lump if you could designate
    > > some disks as a separate asp, save to a lib in that asp, then detach
    > > the disks from one partition & re-attach to another? I have almost no
    > > experience of as400 hardware beyond 5250 terminals so this may easily
    > > be a non starter.

    > > Jonathan.- Hide quoted text -

    > have you looked at DDM over IP.- Hide quoted text -

    I have - It worked ok too for rpg programs but sql dosnt like it much.
    I didnt know you could use it for savefiles though.

    Jonathan

  10. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:20:29 -0700 (PDT), Hammie wrote:

    >Or are there other ways to do it better?

    i used iSeries Access, once you declared a central management system you can
    move all kind of objects simply *draggin & droppin* from one system to another.
    Is it fast? It depends on the size of things you are movin.

  11. Re: fast way to copy files from system A to B??

    Hammie wrote:
    > Well that sounds good.
    > Can you give me a rough description how to setup such an APPN
    > connection?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jaap

    http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg031208-story03.html