Need help find console. - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Need help find console. - IBM AS400 ; I have a model 800 I was asked to get the console back working. I was told that a Lan console was setup and that the PC has sinced crashed. I have never dealt with a Lan Conole before so ...

  1. Need help find console.

    I have a model 800 I was asked to get the console back working. I was
    told that a Lan console was setup and that the PC has sinced crashed.
    I have never dealt with a Lan Conole before so I don't quite know
    where to begin. Here is what I know:

    OS=V5R3
    Console System Value=QCONSOLE
    QCONSOLE resides in the QCTL controller
    There is one Twinax Block CTL01.

    I'd prefer to try and get the console on the twinax.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Need help find console.

    If you have a twinax display, set the address to "zero". Attach the
    twinax cable to port 0 of the twinax block, and make sure it is
    attached to controller 0. Power up and it should be there.

  3. Re: Need help find console.

    On Oct 10, 1:59*pm, Graybeard wrote:
    > If you have a twinax display, set the address to "zero". *Attach the
    > twinax cable to port 0 of the twinax block, and make sure it is
    > attached to controller 0. * Power up and it should be there.

    I was going to do that, but was not sure. There currently is a DSP01
    on CLT01 Port 0 that is running in the QINTER subsystem.
    Do I need to delete DSP01, IPL and let the system auto config?

  4. Re: Need help find console.

    Falco wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 1:59 pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >> If you have a twinax display, set the address to "zero". Attach the
    >> twinax cable to port 0 of the twinax block, and make sure it is
    >> attached to controller 0. Power up and it should be there.

    > I was going to do that, but was not sure. There currently is a DSP01
    > on CLT01 Port 0 that is running in the QINTER subsystem.
    > Do I need to delete DSP01, IPL and let the system auto config?

    Someone probably run and ADDWSE command with DSP* redirecting to QINTER.

    When the machine first comes you'll probably see DSP01 come up with QCTL
    showing in the upper right corner and then disappear several minutes
    later and switch to QINTER as the QINTER subsystem starts and takes over.

    If so you can sign on during the QCTL display which effectively locks it
    in QCTL until the next reboot. Or later, after QINTER is started, you
    should be able to run TFRJOB to transfer to QCTL.

    For a more permanent solution you could always change the WSE
    registrations to exclude DSP01 from QINTER.

    Rj.

  5. Re: Need help find console.

    il 10/10/2008 15.28, Scrive Falco 43945648:
    > I have a model 800 I was asked to get the console back working. I was
    > told that a Lan console was setup and that the PC has sinced crashed.
    > I have never dealt with a Lan Conole before so I don't quite know
    > where to begin. Here is what I know:
    >
    > OS=V5R3
    > Console System Value=QCONSOLE
    > QCONSOLE resides in the QCTL controller
    > There is one Twinax Block CTL01.
    >
    > I'd prefer to try and get the console on the twinax.
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Access SST with STRSST command, yull'be promted to input userid and
    password, use QSECOFR or an equivalent sst user with full sst
    permission, be aware that this is not a system usre profile, thus not
    the same QSECOFR userid present as *USRPRF object, so the passord mat be
    different, be aware also that this password is always case-sensitive.

    From the SST menu select option 8 (work with users and devices).
    From this panel you have option 4 to configure a lan adapter for lan
    console use, or option 3 to change the console type.
    If you want a twinax console, then select option 3, from the next panel
    you'll be able to select the console type, twinax is option 1.