iSeries System Monitoring - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iSeries System Monitoring - IBM AS400 ; I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on our system. The ...

  1. iSeries System Monitoring

    I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    our system.

    The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    email.

    I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    have a good amount of programming experience.

    Suggestions/Recommendations?

  2. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    angus wrote:
    > I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    > iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    > general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    > our system.
    >
    > The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    > MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    > discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    > are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    > email.
    >
    > I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    > need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    > for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    > have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    > Suggestions/Recommendations?

    Well here's a couple of thoughts...
    the AS/400, iSeries, i5 etc supports what it calls RemoteOutqs ( read
    LPD/LPR ) and the WRKACTJOB cmd supports output to *PRINT. You could
    setup a never ending job that does a WRKACTJOB *PRINT. That job places
    it in a remoteoutq that sends it to a unix box and processes it..

  3. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    angus wrote:
    > I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    > iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    > general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    > our system.
    >
    > The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    > MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    > discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    > are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    > email.
    >
    > I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    > need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    > for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    > have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    > Suggestions/Recommendations?

    Check out the IBM Director software:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/manage...t52/resources/
    or http://tinyurl.com/468aqf.

    I think it may now be called IBM System Director for 6.1.

    It has quite a lot of monitoring capability.

  4. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    On Oct 7, 5:44*pm, angus wrote:
    > I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    > iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    > general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    > our system.
    >
    > The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    > MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    > discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    > are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    > email.
    >
    > I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    > need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    > for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    > have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    > Suggestions/Recommendations?

    You can check out Bytware, Help/Systems or PowerTech. They all offer
    some nice tools and are now all owned by the same company strangely
    enough. You have to pay for those.

    Check out the monitors inside of iSeries Navigator. We use that along
    with Director free of charge. You can monitor jobs, messages, disk
    space, CPU, etc. and also send notifications.

    Thad Rizzi

  5. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    On 8 Okt., 02:44, angus wrote:
    > I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    > iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    > general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    > our system.
    >
    > The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    > MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    > discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    > are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    > email.
    >
    > I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    > need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    > for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    > have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    > Suggestions/Recommendations?

    You can use a message handler on the QSYSOPR message queue. This is
    copied from a earlier topic:

    All you need is a break message handler. I've written a couple of
    those; one to catch messages to my userprofile, and show them at the
    status line, and one to catch messages in a Save While Active
    environment.

    I've added the CL-code below. To activate it, you need to issue the
    command:

    CHGMSGQ MSGQ(MessageQ) DLVRY(*BREAK) PGM(YourLib/YourPgm)

    You can prompt the RCVMSG command in the SEU to see values you can
    retrieve. Severity is among them. What you need to do is use the
    information to send you email.

    /
    ************************************************** *******************/
    /* System ...: UTIL/400
    */
    /* Program ..: CBRKDSP
    */
    /* Text .....: Display messages in status line
    */
    /*
    */
    /* Programmer: Niels Steen Madsen
    */
    /* Created ..: 18.02.1994
    */
    /
    ************************************************** *******************/
    PGM PARM(&MSGQNM +
    &MSGQLB +
    &MSGREF)

    DCL VAR(&MSGREF) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(004)
    DCL VAR(&MSGQNM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(010)
    DCL VAR(&MSGQLB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(010)
    DCL VAR(&MSGDTA) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(132)

    RCVMSG MSGQ(&MSGQLB/&MSGQNM) MSGKEY(&MSGREF) +
    RMV(*NO) MSG(&MSGDTA)
    IF COND(&MSGDTA *EQ ' ') THEN(GOTO ENDPGM)

    SNDPGMMSG MSGID(UTL0006) MSGF(UTILLIB/UTILMSG) +
    MSGDTA(&MSGDTA) TOPGMQ(*EXT)
    MSGTYPE(*STATUS)
    MONMSG CPF0000

    ENDPGM: ENDPGM

    You can search groups for CHGMSGQ to find more input on this method. I
    know that it's one of the methods used in some of the commercial
    solutions. I've written code for some of them

    Regards
    Niels

  6. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I looked at the Monitors in iSeries Navigtor, didn't know they were
    there. I tried setting a set up one to monitor for a MSGW status on
    one job, but it's failing to start. I walked through the steps in the
    IBM redbooks on setting up a monitor etc, there wasn't much about
    troubleshooting. Running R5v3 on the iSeries and R5v4 iSeries
    Navigator.

    Also am I correct in assuming it must be left running to do
    monitoring?

    > You can check out Bytware, Help/Systems or PowerTech. *They all offer
    > some nice tools and are now all owned by the same company strangely
    > enough. *You have to pay for those.
    >
    > Check out the monitors inside of iSeries Navigator. *We use that along
    > with Director free of charge. *You can monitor jobs, messages, disk
    > space, CPU, etc. and also send notifications.
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

  7. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 17:44:04 -0700 (PDT), angus wrote:

    >I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    >iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    >general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    >our system.
    >
    >The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    >MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    >discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    >are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    >email.
    >
    >I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    >need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    >for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    >have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    >Suggestions/Recommendations?

    Originally posted August 2003 as Subject: emailing *sysopr messages....

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...5355a95e5b562b

    This is, however, a DIY, CL-cum-RPG, based solution.

    --
    Mark

  8. Re: iSeries System Monitoring

    On Oct 7, 7:44*pm, angus wrote:
    > I'm looking for some free or commercial tools to help monitor our
    > iSeries. Bascially, we don't have a system admin, so there's a lot of
    > general best practices that I feel have never been setup correctly on
    > our system.
    >
    > The main application we have occasionally has processes that go into
    > MSGW which can cause some big headaches because it can take a while to
    > discover. I would like way to monitor a number of active jobs (they
    > are all displayed under wrkactjob) and if there are any MSGW, send an
    > email.
    >
    > I have a unix background, so I know that I could do all the tests I
    > need if I could get the output (all screens) into a system with perl
    > for some text processing. I'm not familiar with CL or RPG, though I do
    > have a good amount of programming experience.
    >
    > Suggestions/Recommendations?

    I have a tool named JOBWATCH That will allow you to set up monitoring
    jobs to watch for any state of jobs, including MSGW.

    When the condition is met, it allows you to run any command you want
    with the ability to pass job information as parms to the program or
    command you run. This means you can pretty much do anything when you
    find a job in MSGW.

    You can download a free trial at www.bvstools.com/jobwatch.html.
    Also, with any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

    Thanks!

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

+ Reply to Thread