MQSERIES Question - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on MQSERIES Question - IBM AS400 ; I am looking at purchasing this product, could someone shed some light on how your using it etc, thank you....

  1. MQSERIES Question

    I am looking at purchasing this product, could someone shed some light
    on how your using it etc, thank you.

  2. Re: MQSERIES Question

    We use it to exchange messages / data between applications, and to
    limit the number of active programs on the AS/400 (the queues can act
    as a work buffer, and smooth the load on the AS/400).

    Obviously in an all AS/400 environment you could just use DTAQs to
    achieve the same ends, but MQ allows us to interact with servers
    running other OSes.

    You can use it to send and receive simple messages, multi-part
    messages, request - response pairs, and publish-subscribe
    distributions. You can set expiry times so that old messages are
    discarded by MQ without reaching your applications, and you can decide
    whether to allow messages to survive IPLs or not. It also supports
    transactions (including two-phase transactions) and guaranties
    delivery, so your data is safeguarded.

    You can poll for messages or use triggers to handle incoming messages
    as soon as they arrive. You can perform destructive and non-
    destructive reads. You can access queues from RPG, COBOL, and Java.

    We have been using it for nearly 10 years now, and offhand I can't
    think of any bad experiences. One consideration though is replication
    to a DR site, which isn't as straight-forward as replicating files.
    Messages can be replicated, or you can build your applications to
    allow re-sends and perform duplicate checking

+ Reply to Thread