Replacing Cache Battery - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Replacing Cache Battery - IBM AS400 ; Received an error message to replace the cache battery soon. Looks like I have about 80 days to do so. I am running on a AS/400 9406-270 V5R3. The device type looks to be a 2763 per the critical hardware ...

  1. Replacing Cache Battery

    Received an error message to replace the cache battery soon. Looks
    like I have about 80 days to do so. I am running on a AS/400 9406-270
    V5R3. The device type looks to be a 2763 per the critical hardware
    error message and the battery part number was 44L0313 which is
    superseded by 42R5070. I know that I am providing a lot of information
    but more information is better, right? I have the battery in house at
    this point but I have a question. I have never replaced a cache
    battery and I want to make sure that I have the procedure down. I have
    brought down from IBM the installation procedure which seems pretty
    straight forward. Has anyone performed this replacement procedures and
    if so could you offer any advice?

    Any advice or comment would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Replacing Cache Battery

    On Oct 6, 12:13*pm, Jimson wrote:
    > Received an error message to replace the cache battery soon. Looks
    > like I have about 80 days to do so. I am running on a AS/400 9406-270
    > V5R3. The device type looks to be a 2763 per the critical hardware
    > error message and the battery part number was 44L0313 which is
    > superseded by 42R5070. I know that I am providing a lot of information
    > but more information is better, right? I have the battery in house at
    > this point but I have a question. I have never replaced a cache
    > battery and I want to make sure that I have the procedure down. I have
    > brought down from IBM the installation procedure which seems pretty
    > straight forward. Has anyone performed this replacement procedures and
    > if so could you offer any advice?
    >
    > Any advice or comment would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have seen the battery replaced by IBM engineer's in the past. I
    can't recall if a total power down is required or not. I do know that
    if you have IBM maintenance and you do something to your system
    without having the IBM engineer do the work that you will void
    warranty's etc.

  3. Re: Replacing Cache Battery

    I understand full system power down is required. If you have IBM
    service, they will replace it for you.

  4. Re: Replacing Cache Battery

    On Oct 6, 2:09*pm, Graybeard wrote:
    > I understand full system power down is required. *If you have IBM
    > service, they will replace it for you.

    I have replaced several on 9406-170 and 800 Models. All the ones I
    have replaced were after the battery was dead and the disk status was
    degraded. In this case you can power off the machine and replace the
    battery, otherwise you need to fail the battery in the SST.

    I have also heard from an IBM tech that after you remove the battery
    from the card to wait a about 3 minutes before you attach the new one
    otherwise the system maybe think the old one is still attched if all
    the power does not drain. That's just what I was told, but have never
    had it happen.

  5. Re: Replacing Cache Battery

    On Oct 6, 2:50*pm, Falco wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 2:09*pm, Graybeard wrote:
    >
    > > I understand full system power down is required. *If you have IBM
    > > service, they will replace it for you.

    > I have replaced several on 9406-170 and 800 Models. *All the ones I
    > have replaced were after the battery was dead and the disk status was
    > degraded. *In this case you can power off the machine and replace the
    > battery, otherwise you need to fail the battery in the SST.
    >
    > I have also heard from an IBM tech that after you remove the battery
    > from the card to wait a about 3 minutes before you attach the new one
    > otherwise the system maybe think the old one is still attched if all
    > the power does not drain. *That's just what I was told, but have never
    > had it happen.

    I just wanted to write back since the replacement has been complete.
    In short, prior to the system shutdown I forced the card into an error
    state which writes any data from cache to disk. I then performed a
    shutdown. Once the system was fully powered off, I too the appropriate
    measures to remove the casing in order to expose the card in question.
    Replacing the battery was simple. As stated by Falco, you do have to
    wait at least 60 seconds before installing the "new" battery. This
    will report that the battery has been replaced once the system is
    brought back on-line. Card was re-installed and the system was brought
    back on-line with out issue. The system has been for approximately one
    week with out any performance or system issues.

    Thanks to everyone for their input!

+ Reply to Thread