Image Catalogs & V5R4M5 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Image Catalogs & V5R4M5 - IBM AS400 ; Anyone gone to this LIC release using image catalogs. If so how did you create the image catalog and how long did it take by using the image catalog....

  1. Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    Anyone gone to this LIC release using image catalogs. If so how did
    you create the image catalog and how long did it take by using the
    image catalog.

  2. Re: Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    il 02/10/2008 16.54, Scrive iseriesflorida 43949016:
    > Anyone gone to this LIC release using image catalogs. If so how did
    > you create the image catalog and how long did it take by using the
    > image catalog.

    So, you want to upgrade your operating system to V5R4, or you just have
    to load V5R4M5 microcode? M5 is for microcode only, operating system
    keep run V5R4M0.
    Anyway, create an image catalog with the command:
    CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(V5R4M0)
    DIR('/home/V5R4M0')
    TYPE(*OPT)
    CRTDIR(*YES)
    DIR parameter can be any exixsting or unexistant directory.
    Try sorting all the cd in the correct order basing on
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...medialabel.htm
    , even if it's not strictly necessary it will help.
    Insert the first CD and enter the following command:
    ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(V5R4M0) FROMDEV(OPT01) TOFILE(*GEN)
    where OPT01 is the configuration neme of you cd drive.
    When finished (may take some minutes depending on cd drive speed),
    insert the next cd and re-enter ADDIMGCLGE command (same parameters)
    (I won't tell you to extract the last CD used before inserting the next,
    as it may appear obvious!)

    Now you have to mount the catalog on a virtual cd drive, if you haven't
    any configured enter the command:
    CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT) RSRCNAME(*VRT)
    and vary it on with the command
    VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)

    to mount the catalog enter the command:
    LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(V5R4M0) DEV(OPTVRT) OPTION(*LOAD)

    Now you should be able to see the 1st volume mounted either with command:
    WRKLNK '/QOPT/*'
    or
    WRKOPTVOL DEV(OPTVRT) CSI(*NONE)

    You may want to verify the catalog to avoid an unattended error after,
    to do this enter the command:
    VFYIMGCLG IMGCLG(V5R4M0) TYPE(*UPGRADE)

    To start upgrading the os is as simple as entering the command:
    PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED)
    RESTART(*YES)
    IPLSRC(D)
    IMGCLG(V5R4M0)
    CONFIRM(*NO)

    The catalog will be verified, if something wrong the command stops and
    post an error message.

    Be aware that before upgrading to a new release, when a previous os is
    already installed, you must accept license agreement, if not the catalog
    verification will stop. To accept license show the Licensed Program menu
    GO LICPGM
    select 5 (preparation to install)
    then select the 1st item (something like "work on destination programs")
    to create a list of product to install, it will ask you the source type
    (1) the destination release (V5R4M0) and the device (OPTVRT)
    then you can select the option to "accept software license agreement"

    Select the last option too (assign further space to lic) if the space
    was already assigned or is just enough it will say nothing, otherwise it
    will tell you to power down/power up your iseries server: the lic space
    will be allocated on next IPL.

    I thing that to read all the cds it may take one hour, if you have
    multiple 2ndary languages it will take even more.
    The release upgrade can take a few hours, completely unattended, but
    consider that the time strongly depends on processor power and how much
    disk space is available and how fast are your disks.

    IMPORTANT! Don't miss to install a PTF cumulative package. You can
    prepare to install using the same procedure above (create another image
    catalog read CDs and so on) you can switch between image catalogs with
    LODIMGCLG command using OPTION(*LOAD) or OPTION(*UNLOAD), that's like
    inserting and extracting a physical CD.

  3. Re: Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    On Oct 2, 11:44*am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > multiple 2ndary languages it will take even more.
    > The release upgrade can take a few hours, completely unattended, but
    > consider that the time strongly depends on processor power and how much
    > disk space is available and how fast are your disks.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Don't miss to install a PTF cumulative package. You can
    > prepare to install using the same procedure above (create another image
    > catalog read CDs and so on) you can switch between image catalogs with
    > LODIMGCLG command using OPTION(*LOAD) or OPTION(*UNLOAD), that's like
    > inserting and extracting a physical CD.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    Ugo, only have to do lic and cume.

  4. Re: Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    il 03/10/2008 15.17, Scrive iseriesflorida 43937608:
> [...]

    >> multiple 2ndary languages it will take even more.
    >> The release upgrade can take a few hours, completely unattended, but
    >> consider that the time strongly depends on processor power and how much
    >> disk space is available and how fast are your disks.
    >>
    >> IMPORTANT! Don't miss to install a PTF cumulative package. You can
    >> prepare to install using the same procedure above (create another image
    >> catalog read CDs and so on) you can switch between image catalogs with
    >> LODIMGCLG command using OPTION(*LOAD) or OPTION(*UNLOAD), that's like
    >> inserting and extracting a physical CD.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    >> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    >> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    A big effort for nothing! Hope the above will be usefull to someone other!
    So, If you want to upgrade lic only, place your iseries panel in manual
    and ipl-source D, insert the lic cd and power-on. A boot from CD will
    take place, and, not very soon, will prompt a menu where you should
    chose the option to install the lic. When finished, the DST menu will
    appear and you have he option to execute manual IPL, or you can place
    iseries panel in normal and ipl-source B (B is comfortable to install
    cume), and re-boot.

  5. Re: Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    On Oct 3, 9:33*am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > A big effort for nothing! Hope the above will be usefull to someone other!
    > So, If you want to upgrade lic only, place your iseries panel in manual
    > and ipl-source D, insert the lic cd and power-on. A boot from CD will
    > take place, and, not very soon, will prompt a menu where you should
    > chose the option to install the lic. When finished, the DST menu will
    > appear and you have he option to execute manual IPL, or you can place
    > iseries panel in normal and ipl-source B (B is comfortable to install
    > cume), and re-boot.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'- Hide quotedtext -

    Could you leave panel in current position and utilize pwrdwnsys
    command IPLSRC(D) ??

    Example: PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D) so long
    as CD was loaded.

  6. Re: Image Catalogs & V5R4M5

    il 03/10/2008 16.27, Scrive iseriesflorida 43937608:
    > On Oct 3, 9:33 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    > wrote:
    >> il 03/10/2008 15.17, Scrive iseriesflorida 43937608:

    >>> Ugo, only have to do lic and cume.

    >> A big effort for nothing! Hope the above will be usefull to someone other!
    >> So, If you want to upgrade lic only, place your iseries panel in manual
    >> and ipl-source D, insert the lic cd and power-on. A boot from CD will
    >> take place, and, not very soon, will prompt a menu where you should
    >> chose the option to install the lic. When finished, the DST menu will
    >> appear and you have he option to execute manual IPL, or you can place
    >> iseries panel in normal and ipl-source B (B is comfortable to install
    >> cume), and re-boot.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    >> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    >> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'- Hide quoted text -

    > Could you leave panel in current position and utilize pwrdwnsys
    > command IPLSRC(D) ??
    >
    > Example: PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES) IPLSRC(D) so long
    > as CD was loaded.

    To do RESTART(*YES) the panel must be in normal mode, that way will
    start an unattended complete install, while you want to stop after lic
    install, to do this you must start in manual mode.
    I never tried, maybe you can start in normal mode and replay "no" when
    prompted to insert the next CD, then I guess that the next IPL will be
    abnormal, but it can make anyway.